5D MK II Announced - the moon shines

There are huge complaints about the specs over at dpreview... it's pretty funny. It's not a D3 or D700 with Canon written on it so they are crapping their pants.

I'm going to go fondle my 5D and try to remember why a love it so much.

Interesting. The camera is spectacular, but...

sigh - us poor nature photographers - why are we forced to the top end...

I think so, unless I'm reading this incorrectly....from the press release (http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20080917_5dmkii.html)

I don't get it. So far the only thing I've seen impressive from this camera was the 1080P video. You guys really think this: http://web1.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos5dm2/downloads/2_landscape.jpg or this: http://web1.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos5dm2/downloads/1_portrait.jpg is "spectacular", "top end", or shows signs of a "better dynamic range"?

Reeeeeely? What am I missing then? My monitor needs to be repaired or something?

It looks to me like that sensor is WAY past it's actual resolving abilities. Like maybe it's an interpolated 8MP or maybe it's a JPG at the lowest level of compression. Those looked trashed to me.

Both are at ISO 100 with a fast shutter too. :(

Last edited:
I don't get it. So far the only thing I've seen impressive from this camera was the 1080P video. You guys really think this: http://web1.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos5dm2/downloads/2_landscape.jpg or this: http://web1.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos5dm2/downloads/1_portrait.jpg is "spectacular", "top end", or shows signs of a "better dynamic range"?

Reeeeeely? What am I missing then? My monitor needs to be repaired or something?

The funny thing about Canon sample images taken with their own cameras is, that they are really horrible. Already the sample shots on Canon's webpages taken with the old 5D were really not done well, in particular when it comes to landscape.

Oh, and chromatic aberration is quite visible on the first image, so that seems not the best choice of lens there either.

I personally would claim, that most of my landscape shots with my current camera are better than those images Canon displayed on their site to advertise exactly that same camera ;)

It looks to me like that sensor is WAY past it's actual resolving abilities. Like maybe it's an interpolated 8MP or maybe it's a JPG at the lowest level of compression. Those looked trashed to me.

They are simply not well taken images. In the first one the lens resolution looks not up to the sensor resolution. And why a fast shutter in landscape work? Probably the shot is taken by some technical geek but not by a photographer..

I take that back... The new battery system is impressive too. :D

Alex B,

You're telling me that Canon can't take good example pics? I'm not sure what to think. I'm not sure if I think you made a lame excuse or if the Canon co. it so lame as to be that incompetent.

As far as lens selection and settings the girl portrait is:
File Name..................1_portrait.jpg
Tv (Shutter Speed)......1/100 sec
Av (Aperture Value).....f/2
ISO Speed..................ISO100
Lens..........................EF50mm f/1.2L USM
White Balance.............AWB
Picture Style...............Neutral​

and the landscape one is:
File Name...................2_landscape.jpg
Tv (Shutter Speed).......1/800 sec
Av (Aperture Value)......f/7.1
ISO Speed...................ISO100
Lens...........................EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
White Balance..............Daylight
Picture Style................Landscape​

Alex B,

You're telling me that Canon can't take good example pics? I'm not sure what to think. I'm not sure if I think you made a lame excuse or if the Canon co. it so lame as to be that incompetent.

I am not telling you that they cannot take good example pics, just that they seem not to care! Some of the 5D example pics almost kept me from buying it!

If I was canon, I would shoot with a good prime, and not with the 24-105 f/4 L, which is a convenient lens, I use it myself quite often, but, it is optically not a perfect lens.

Well if that's really the case these are awesome points in case. Because of those images I'm put off completely from the camera!

I don't see how these could be just bad examples. To get images to look that bad in my $200 bridge camera I would have to process them pretty hard. I don't know of a way to get those kinds of bad effects in-camera. I guess a $50 lens could do it. <shrug>

All 'test sample shots' are taken with pre-release cameras that generally speaking are not up to the final release spec. The 5D mkII's I played with yesterday had pre-release firmware so I'd expect the results to get slightly better.

do you know when we will be able to buy one of these Cameras ?
Is it still worth buying a D700 when you can have a 21MP ....cheaper??!!

do you know when we will be able to buy one of these Cameras ?
Is it still worth buying a D700 when you can have a 21MP ....cheaper??!!

Not seen a date yet but if you want to take pics at really high ISO's then get the Nikon D700 as it is far better

really ? the D700 is better in low light conditions ? ...
I heard that the new canon sensor was really good.
... So I will maybe stay with Nikon ( I have my lenses...)

Not seen a date yet but if you want to take pics at really high ISO's then get the Nikon D700 as it is far better

This is the key question for me, and there is so much hype going around it's difficult to get at the facts. I want to see a really thorough and impartial comparison between the D700 and 5DII.

Most reactions

Back