I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know, I know...we can speculate and read rumors until our eyes bleed...but only Canon knows when they will release new gear.
But...I've noticed something lately. The 5D mk II is being drastically reduced in price. I bought one 3-4 weeks ago for $500 off the list price. Today, I get an E-flyer from a competing camera store, and they are selling it for $700 off the list price. That's less than $2000.

Unfortunately for me, the first store, while why do have a price match policy, it only extends for two weeks after purchase. Missed it by that much.

But can we read something into this? Is Canon allowing these stores to discount the 5D mkII in order to clear their stock, to make room for a replacement model? That would make perfect sense...but who knows?

Anyway, if you are thinking of buying a 5D mkII in Canada, check out Vistek.ca. (or use that to have another store price match).

5D II is still selling like hotcakes. It would be stupid of canon releasing a new one this soon. Just saying.

...to a theater near YOU! (Also available on DVD, Blue-Ray, and VHS. Ask your cable provider for same-day pay per view. Some local restrictions may apply. Not available in all areas. Offer subject to availability. Must be 18 or over to order.)

5D II is still selling like hotcakes. It would be stupid of canon releasing a new one this soon. Just saying.
Ya...selling like hotcakes because Canon has instituted incredible rebates. That's my point.

If they were selling really well, without the discount...then it would be stupid to put the discounts in place....wouldn't it?

Thanks for the link... that's incredible. Free shipping, I wonder if that's to US as well. Man, I may pull the trigger on this. I'm embarrassed now that I saw a guy posting USED bodies on CL this morning for $2k.... glad I didn't fall for that.

Hmmm, looks like shipping is $45 to me... still a killer price. Maybe I should start looking for an EF wide/normal zoom....

BIG rebates like that near the end of a camera's market run almost always indicate channel-clearing goals on the part of Canon...the hefty rebates Big Mike talks about are almost surely a sign that the next--big--thing is right around the corner. The original 5D came on the market at over $3,000, at $3,499 I seem to recall. It did not sell well, so Canon lowered the price to $3,199. Still did not sell well, and was lowered to below the mental barrier that is $3,000 US dollars...price was again lowered...rebates were introduced at several points throughout the original 5D's run...at one point the original 5D with rebates and a kit zoom 24-105-L series (some kit zoom,eh!?) was available with a big EPSON printer, which many people sold one-Bay or Craigslist, and thus managed to snag a 5D for around $2,000 even,after the printer was sold. I bought my 5D + 24-105-L boxed kit for $3,800 when the 24-105 was selling for $995 IMMSMC.

Canon has used rebates in two ways: to attempt to drive sales, while still maintaining a profitable sales position. Lowered prices leave money on the table for the mfrs and dealers; rebates force the BUYER to perform the rebate process to get the lowered price AND rebates allow the mfr to maintain the retail price point for customers who are willing to actually PAY. The second way Canon has used rebates is end-of-life channel-clearing REBATES...it allows the dealers to get a good retail price, the user does the work, and the camera fly out of the stores and clear the channel so the next--big--thing can be shipped in.

So I went my wife the link and proceed to type lustful strings of letters like "mmmmmm uhhhhh oooooooo". I didn't think she would but she may actually let me pull the trigger. I wonder how long the price will last?

That's funny. I also have to run these purchases by 'the boss'. But in the case of my 5DII (and my original 20D), she said "We'll talk about it" and then went out and bought it for me, as a surprise.

That would be awsome. I hope she doesn't make me wait until Christmas. :) She wants to talk about it after work.

Canon Rumors is reporting this. In fact they have added that instant rebates will start of the 25th for the USA and run until October 29th. The rumors of an announcement for October might still be good...what to do, what to do....

how many gazzilion pixel will it have? LOL

how many gazzilion pixel will it have? LOL

A few MUCH more-important question: will it be able to focus off-center subjects in marginal light? Will it still be a cheap body with a fantastic sensor, or with the feature-rich Nikon D700 and Canon 7D models be the standard for body controls, sub-systems, and adjustability?

Will it be a fantastic "camera", with a good sensor, or merely a good camera with a fantastic sensor??? I think we need to think about the 5D Mark II's ******follow-up model******, not necessarily a 5D Mark III...will Canon address the competition from Nikon and sony head-on, finally???

i was just making fun of canon for always coming up with gazillion pixel to beat out competition in that category Derrel instead of all those features you mentioned. Really, Im happy with 12.1 MP that 5D c had and however many I got on my mk2. No need to go bigger.

I agree that more pixels are not enough to go for, in fact at ths time I think that more is not better, but what would be worth it to upgrade from a 5DII to a 5DIII? I know most here are not fans of a fella whose initials a K and R...but since I have been looking at the FF's and what might be occuring, I thought that the fella with the initials K and R did a great job doing a crop vs the FF side by side and used great and not the greatest lenses to show the differences between a crop and a FF. I mean, I think the 5DII as a producer is very nice as a base.

Just for demographics, the build is not a deal breaker for me. Fit and finish has been good overall with Canon I feel. I take care of what I hold in my hands and I and everyone I know use a cell phone all day long and they seem to manage the rough handling and elements quite well...camera's do too I think. I don't think I'd pay more for the case, but that's just me.

What would a Digic V do for a camera that would make masses in this economy plank down $3.X k ???

Most reactions

New Topics

Back