5D MK III or D800?

Majeed Badizadegan

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been considering both. Not invested in either system yet. Landscape and portraits will be the primary use.

I should also mention that I plan to do a lot of shooting in low light, so ISO performance is a factor too.

Additionally, I want to be able to bracket 7 + shots when shooting landscape HDR's, the 4fps of the D800 may be a little sluggish compared to the 6fps of the 5d Mk III in this regard? Thoughts?

What do you guys think? Or is it too soon to tell...

Last edited:
I've been considering both. Not invested in either system yet. Landscape and portraits will be the primary use.

What do you guys think? Or is it too soon to tell...

D800 based on the high MP.

OR if MP is not that important to you, I would go with D700 or 5DII. A lot cheaper!

Thoughts on low light capabilities of both cameras?

Detail: D800 > 5DIII
Low Light: D800<5DIII

D800 is a very good camera for certain uses, not so good for others.
5DIII isn't as good as D800 in some uses, but better in others.

The bottom line - D800 is more of a specialized instrument, while 5DIII is better "all arounder."

Detail: D800 > 5DIII
Low Light: D800<5DIII

D800 is a very good camera for certain uses, not so good for others.
5DIII isn't as good as D800 in some uses, but better in others.

The bottom line - D800 is more of a specialized instrument, while 5DIII is better "all arounder."

Interesting thought.

The D800. Higher resolution for landscapes. Better dynamic range than the Canon, especially in the highlights. As dPreview noted in their 5D-III preview, they found that the 5D-III follows what they described as a typical family trait--specifically, that Canon cameras clip highlights earlier than Nikons do.

The D800 will give you roughly a 16 megapixel crop-body camera with 6 FPS firing rate if you need that. The D800 is also $500 less costly; that $500 savings will go a long way toward buying a nice lens, or will buy a good speedlight.

The D800. Higher resolution for landscapes. Better dynamic range than the Canon, especially in the highlights. As dPreview noted in their 5D-III preview, they found that the 5D-III follows what they described as a typical family trait--specifically, that Canon cameras clip highlights earlier than Nikons do.

The D800 will give you roughly a 16 megapixel crop-body camera with 6 FPS firing rate if you need that. The D800 is also $500 less costly; that $500 savings will go a long way toward buying a nice lens, or will buy a good speedlight.

D800 + a SB910= What I just ordered in my dreamworld(and a D4 since I'm just dreaming).

5D Mark II and good glass.

Derrel is correct in saying that the D800 is cheaper than the 5D3. However, you can buy a 5D3, 35mm f/1.4, 24-70 f/2.8, and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II for less than you can buy a D800 and equivalent glass. You'd save $400 in the long run.

The price of the 5DIII would be offset by the cost of glass, and you'd end up saving money if you decided to go with the 5DIII.

The 5DmkII doesn't bracket enough, which is a wanted feature by dominatoR

That's what manual mode is for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back