5D MK III or D800?

You're right, it's just EB. Exposure bracketing, but it's manual. So therefore there's no 'A'.

It's been done before by many many many HDR photogs.

You're right, it's just EB. Exposure bracketing, but it's manual. So therefore there's no 'A'.

It's been done before by many many many HDR photogs.

I do it all the time, but for fast moving subjects (clouds, etc.) and when you factor in camera shake and the time it takes to manually adjust exposure times, it's not nearly as fast/effective as AEB. It's like manual windows vs. power windows.

Both cameras have the desired AEB capability, but the Nikon seems a bit slower which is a consideration for me.

between the MkIII and D800 it's D800 hands down on all counts. I've played with the files, high ISO is as good, no, better than the D700 in my opinion...the high detail retained at high ISO is incredible.

Invest in glass, both bodies are pretty much worthless unless you put decent glass on them.

This goes without saying :lol:

Only the best of glass would be put on either body. There's no way you're going to reach the full potential of either camera without it.

Invest in glass, both bodies are pretty much worthless unless you put decent glass on them.

Only the best of glass would be put on either body. There's no way you're going to reach the full potential of either camera without it.

My point is that you are shopping bodies and don't have glass. Maybe you should look at it a different way and figure out what glass you want then shop for a body, between the body and the glass the glass is the bigger expense. Both these camera bodies are about the same, each has it's fanboys. Personally I'm a Nikon guy, I like the low light performance of their Pro bodies and their ergonomics. But, saying that, I would never steer someone to buy a Nikon.

My point is that you are shopping bodies and don't have glass. Maybe you should look at it a different way and figure out what glass you want then shop for a body, between the body and the glass the glass is the bigger expense. Both these camera bodies are about the same, each has it's fanboys. Personally I'm a Nikon guy, I like the low light performance of their Pro bodies and their ergonomics. But, saying that, I would never steer someone to buy a Nikon.

I hear you. I'd be purchasing the glass and body together. E.g. 5d M3 w/ 24-105L

This guy is hilarious and a great head to head comparison of the two cameras:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a specialized tool for landscapes or studio shoots get D800.

If you want the best "all around" camera, get 5D III, 24-105L is a good lens.

If you want a specialized tool for landscapes or studio shoots get D800.

If you want the best "all around" camera, get 5D III, 24-105L is a good lens.

Why? The 5D MKII was the best landscape and studio camera when it was just that and the D700. Do MP mean that much to you people? The D800 should still have a good autofocus. The 5D MKIII is still 22MP, which is massive.

I enjoy watching the experts and elders in a Ford vs Chevy debate
bigthumb.gif

Most reactions

Back