5D MK III or D800?

The 5DmkII doesn't bracket enough, which is a wanted feature by dominatoR

do a bracket of +- 2, take AEB, up or down your exposure a stop, do AEB again.. there.. you have 6 bracketed shots :)

The 5DmkII doesn't bracket enough, which is a wanted feature by dominatoR

do a bracket of +- 2, take AEB, up or down your exposure a stop, do AEB again.. there.. you have 6 bracketed shots :)

Wait wait wait just a GOSH DARN MINUTE..... how in the heck are we supposed to have another stupid, idiotic, pointless, meaningless, and silly argument about Nikon vs. Canon with you going around making sense and providing simple workarounds for small niche shortcomings in a specific model of camera body that will be obsolete in 3 years?

How dare you sir...how dare you?

you know.. give me any of these 2 cameras.. I dont care lol. I will join which ever team. I will worry about the lens :D

A Nikon user's review of the Canon 5D Mark III » Ryan Brenizer ...

L
ooks likes a great camera but.. the BANDING at Low ISO's is still present. Surprised Canon haven't got rid of this yet!

Banding will occur if you push a photo 2.5 stops in post... Duh. But why wouldn't you go for a proper exposure with a slightly higher ISO anyway? It's kind of stupid IMO considering both cameras handle ISO very well.

Well said, its a mOOt point by default anyways
bigthumb.gif

L
ooks likes a great camera but.. the BANDING at Low ISO's is still present. Surprised Canon haven't got rid of this yet!

Banding will occur if you push a photo 2.5 stops in post... Duh. But why wouldn't you go for a proper exposure with a slightly higher ISO anyway? It's kind of stupid IMO considering both cameras handle ISO very well.

But in high contrast scenes you will sometimes wish to push the shadows, it isn't always just about nailing exposure, sometimes there is too much dynamic range in a scene. On my D90, if I am pushing the shadows I am yet to see banding of any kind. Noise, yes, Banding, No. This isn't a case of me saying Nikon are better than Canon, I'm saying it is something Canon need to work on. ;)

Mrgiggls said:
Wait wait wait just a GOSH DARN MINUTE..... how in the heck are we supposed to have another stupid, idiotic, pointless, meaningless, and silly argument about Nikon vs. Canon with you going around making sense and providing simple workarounds for small niche shortcomings in a specific model of camera body that will be obsolete in 3 years?

How dare you sir...how dare you?

Yawn.... It's been explained time and again. To you what is a "small niche shortcoming" is a crtical feature for HDR shooters. It's also been a shortcoming Canon HDR shooters have had to deal with for years. Until the mark 3 came out just recently, you'd have to shoot with a FLAGSHIP Canon just to bracket more than three shots, whereas Nikon has 2-9 AEB in their mid range cameras.

Now, why would it be important to bracket more than three shots without touching the camera and moving dials? If you have to ask, you should probably leave your smart a$$ comments at the door and stick to subjects you actually know something about. :)

Just read an article in a Pro mag and it says Nikon have made the D800 to get sales from MF users especially D800E

As far as low-light focusing...I think the Nikon has the "stronger" AF module; the D800 will function with lenses, or lens/teleconverter combinations, or lens/extension tube combinations that let is as little as f/8. Did anybody see MarkW's near-darkness focusing sample photo with his new D800??? That new AF system fopcusies down to basically, outdoor nighttime levels.

As far as Tyler's "comparable lenses" for the high-end...Canon's 35mm f/1.4 is quite an aged, antiquated design, not worth anywhere near the price it is set at, and lagging behind the all-new Nikkor 35/1.4. Canon is now updating its 24-70 because the old one was getting hammered by the Nikkor 24-70 AF-S. If a guy wants cheap lenses, Canon does have plenty of them. The auto-bracketing feature and MANULA mode? on come on--that's way to slow for many multi-exposure scenarios...the faster the muklti-exposures are made, the less subject movement ends up in the files to combine...manual focus is wayyyyyy too slow compared to a high-speed burst where the multiple exposures are pre-programmed and the camera can execute them without multiple shutter presses done in-between multiple adjustments of the shutter.

So far, nobody has explained to me the exact, accurate, and true nature of Canon's new multiple exposure system; there has been speculation that it has been improved--but is it, actually??? Or does it still have the same old Canon-style, limited auto exposure bracketing system with just three exposures separated by no more than a narrow band of possible setting values???

As far as high-ISO performance...I watched the Digital REV video comparison of the 5D-III and the D800...seems to me that the High-ISO banding the 5D Mark II's sensor had is still present in the new 5D-III's sensor. Also, what I thought was siocking was that the 5D-III was reviewed by a professional wedding shooter,Ryan Brenizier and he noted (and showed) how poor the Mark III's sensor is when recovering from underexposure of just four stops; THAT to me is the worrisome "feature" of the Canon-made sensor in the 5D-III---that to me indicates that Canon has NOT developed the extremely low read noise electronics that both Nikon and Pentax have developed for the new SONY-made sensors they are using. http://www.ryanbrenizer.com/2012/03/a-nikon-users-review-of-the-canon-5d-mark-iii/

Take a look at Ryan's silhouette, where he underexposed by only 2.5 f/stops, and the image looks like CRAP...full of banding. As he states: "
5D Mark III files are significantly worse at dealing with pushed exposures than the Nikon D3s, and seemingly also the D4 and D800. The Nikons keep a lot of dynamic range in their shadows, and you can raise exposures quite a bit without significantly degrading image quality. Even if you try to nail exposures, this gives you more dynamic range headway and better ability to creatively dodge and burn an image.This quick test shot put me about 2.5 stops under where I wanted to be even for a silhouette, and even at ISO 100 raising it back up in post introduces noise and banding:"

Look at the sample...that is a crap performance from the sensor...so, for those who think the new Canon is going to be a good performer in low-light and at High ISO levels...uh...sorry, but the new SONY-made sensors in the D7000 Nikon and the Pentax K-5 can shoot a shot with the exposure set for an equivalent ISO value of over 25,000 to 50,000, and the image, with the camera set to ISO 200, and the entirely BLACK RAW file can be opened in a RAW converter and rescued to actually a "decent" image...from what Ryan Brenizer shows, the 5D-III's images can not withstand much underexposure AT ALL, before banding looks like crap--and that is at ISO 100...I'm NOT seeing this from Canon-made sensors...

The thing is, right now, there are very,very few people qualified to evaluate either camera...the cameras are both generally unavailable,and there has not been much real-world evaluation. The banding problem Canon had with the 5D-II appears to still be there in the 5D-III. A camera sensor that cannot recover from a 2.5 stop underexposure at ISO 100??? Uh...both Nikon and Pentax have addressed that issue with incredbly low,low noise electronics that can take the sensor data read-out and not pollute it or 'eff it up...so far, I am NOT hearing that the Canon 5D-III can do that. Both Brenizer, and Digital REV show, and state, that the 5D-III has a lot of noise at elevated ISO values. It's pretty clear--Canon is lagging behind SONY in sensor development...

Yawn.... It's been explained time and again. To you what is a "small niche shortcoming" is a crtical feature for HDR shooters. It's also been a shortcoming Canon HDR shooters have had to deal with for years. Until the mark 3 came out just recently, you'd have to shoot with a FLAGSHIP Canon just to bracket more than three shots, whereas Nikon has 2-9 AEB in their mid range cameras.

Now, why would it be important to bracket more than three shots without touching the camera and moving dials? If you have to ask, you should probably leave your smart a$$ comments at the door and stick to subjects you actually know something about. :)

Where is that <font> joking font </font> again? Jimmy Hoffa called ... he found your sense of humor in his final resting place, in case you were looking for it.

L

Uh, SORRY dude...but have you seen how AMAZING the SONY-made sensor in the Pentax K-5 is???? How does this sound: set the camera's ISO dial to ISO 200. Then make an exposure at the equivalent of ISO 51,200. Result? A JET-BLACK raw file.

Then, import the jet-black, 9.5-stop-underexposed raw image into RPP processing software, and create a "passable" image--free from banding. As in "Free from BANDING". With a bit of color noise,sure, but NO Banding.

Oh, and this was 17 months ago. On a crop-sized, SONY-made sensor... Sorry, but your excuse about a 2.5 stop exposure showing banding when recovered? Yeah...maybe five years ago.SOny has already developed much better sensor technology than what Canon has managed to develop. Sony has,to put it mildly, already kicked Canon's ass in that department. It's called "better sensor technology" and the camera makers, Nikon and Pentax, are delivering "better electronics technology" to further enhance Sony's industry-leading sensor technology and products. Maybe that's because Nikon and Pentax are both first and foremost, camera-makers. Not photo copier makers...

How to recover a 10 stop underexposed K-5 image. [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

<hugs Derrel>........(but not in a creepy way)

Where is that joking font again? Jimmy Hoffa called ... he found your sense of humor in his final resting place, in case you were looking for it.
Wow, stop trying so hard dude. Nothing is "funny" or "humorous" about anything you've said in this thread. Unless you find it funny to come into a thread and take jabs at a camera feature which you obviously have little understanding of. It's in poor taste, and you come off as an uninformed troll. I didn't want to take the time to explain the importance of the feature to you, but youre in luck! Derrel has:
The auto-bracketing feature and MANULA mode? on come on--that's way to slow for many multi-exposure scenarios...the faster the muklti-exposures are made, the less subject movement ends up in the files to combine...manual focus is wayyyyyy too slow compared to a high-speed burst where the multiple exposures are pre-programmed and the camera can execute them without multiple shutter presses done in-between multiple adjustments of the shutter.

Most reactions

Back