What's new

5D MkII - Who Uses Video

LarissaPhotography

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
529
Reaction score
3
Location
Belleville, IL, USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We love our 5D Mark II for quite a few reasons. Full frame sensor, high ISO, and video. I'm just curious how big of a deal video functionality is for you guys. If there was a 5D Mark II with no video for a couple hundred less would you but that instead?
 
Unless I missed it in the thread, that doesn't answer the exact question that I'm asking. While maybe indirectly it touches on the topic, what I'm interested in knowing is whether Canon should think about coming out with a non-video version of the Mark II for a little less.
 
Eh video mode isn't really costing you much. Canon already make video cameras and the live-view functionality is already a part of the cameras setup - as to is recording data from the sensor. All video does is let you control the aperture, shutter speed and ISO over the recording of that liveview output (which is mostly still using the basic functions of the camera that are already a part of it for the stills capture).
About the only part that is "new" is the audio recording and most agree that you need an external mic for that at least and that the best audio is done externally and then synced in editing (certainly for the 7D which has no manual audio recording control).

Overall video is just like all the debates on if liveview was "really for DSLR" I mean it was "just a cheap point and shoot feature" etc.... Least when it first came out - now its a key part of many people use of a DSLR in both hobby and pro circles


I think it is true to say that video mode does require more external addon support and a new set of skills and methods for the user to get the best out of it - and if you just apply stills capturing methods to video you'll get problems and a lesser overall quality. Personally I'm all for professional tools that merge capabilities - it makes things much better for the user (for one thing you don't have to carry half as much stuff).
 
The video function is just a start. It opens to endless possibilities with the right accessory to support it. I'd love to get involved in video if I have the money to spend in getting the proper set up. It's a whole new world from photography.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom