6x6 under $500

I just recently purchased a Yashica MAT tlr. It's a beauty, metal body construction, good heft to it. I got it for about $80 on eBay. I'm probably going to get it CLA'd so that would bring the cost to around $230. Only real downside is that the lens is fixed. 80mm lens (about 50mm equivalent on 35mm film, i hear).

Only real downside is that the lens is fixed. 80mm lens

The silver lining though, is that you don't have to purchase or carry those extra lenses then. :) I loved hiking and doing landscape photography with my Rolleiflex. Everything I needed, except the tripod, fit in a very small camera bag. I've hauled suitcases full of medium format SLR gear deep into the woods, and I've gone light with a TLR. I find the extra energy I have left after toting the small load more than makes up for a lack of focal length options.

I picked up a Yashica 635 off ebay for $77 a little while back, its a great camera. Built like a tank, and it looks awesome, whenever I do street photography with it I get quite a few comments on the camera. Image quality is outstanding, it has a 80mm F3.5 lens, which is a little soft from 3.5-5.6 but this can make for good portraits, but gets very sharp from f11-f16.

It is important to note that this camera doesn't have a light meter. I normaly just use Sunny 16, and since I exclusivly use B&W film with a huge lattitude I never have issues with my exposure unless I do something wrong like forgetting to stop down after stepping out of the shade.

If you dont need to be able to swap lenses I would seriously look at the Yashicas on Ebay, for the price I dont think you will find anything better.

I picked up a Yashica 635 off ebay for $77 a little while back, its a great camera.
+1 for sure. This was my first MF camera. I later picked up an RB67 with a 90mm, a 180mm, and 2 backs for $500.

Why TLRs? You can get SLRs ready to use very cheap these days with a lens n back.

RB67 going for around $300.... saw a kit on PhotoNet for $580 with 3 lenses n 4 backs n a prism.

Bronica SQ going for around $300

Bronica ETRS going for around $250

all have plenty of great lenses, variety of backs in all formats n accessories, you can have a complete system in no time at all for a fraction of what they once sold for.

My suggestion would be a mini-crown graphic with a 6x6 120 back:

Crown23Triop.jpg

+
d1e2_1.JPG

There is one of those on craigslist in my area right now, not sure of the brand though.

How hand holdable is something like that?

They were meant to be hand held--considered the "point and shoot" cameras of there day. I shoot a 4x5 speed graphic version, which is significantly bigger and heavier, hand-held all the time. The 2x3 version isn't much bigger then most other medium format SLRs--look for the crown version because it's lighter and smaller due to the lack of a focal plane shutter. Here's a pic for reference, the last of which has the 120 film holder:

429449047_a2ac6a47fb.jpg

Here's another "interesting" pic of someone holding a mini-graflex:

http://fc76.deviantart.com/fs22/f/2007/349/8/d/8d399ca6d9acffe1.jpg

What do you guys think about modded Kiev stuff? I've been looking at Arax and Hartblei's. I've heard a lot of good things about Arax, they seem pretty nice and the prices are good. Not to mention a ton of good lens options.

If it were me, I'd pass on the Kiev stuff.

What do you guys think about modded Kiev stuff? I've been looking at Arax and Hartblei's. I've heard a lot of good things about Arax, they seem pretty nice and the prices are good. Not to mention a ton of good lens options.

They are quite reasonable and a good business. I had a lens re-polished and re-coated for only a fraction of what I'd have to pay here (US).

Unfortunately, Arax stopped offering that service some months ago, I have 2 lenses here that are basically useless, and with what Focal Point wants to polish them, it's not worth it.

With the prices of RB67s and the like, 6x6 makes little sense these days.

Unfortunately, Arax stopped offering that service some months ago, I have 2 lenses here that are basically useless, and with what Focal Point wants to polish them, it's not worth it.

With the prices of RB67s and the like, 6x6 makes little sense these days.

Darn! Didn't know it! Too bad...

Thanks for the info.

Yashicamat TLR for under $100. Why lug a monster around? How about a folder for under $100?... even smaller it will fit in your shirt pocket.

Most reactions

Back