70-200 f2.8 with converter

amj

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I friends. I want to make a choice between using canon 70-200 f 2.8 IS mkii with 2x converter or to invest in a new canon 100-400L.
I intend to use the extended range for clicking mostly wild life, birds etc which in al probabilities, might be 3 to 4 times a year. I own 70-200 with 5d mk3 & intention is to avoid adding another piece of gear.
Would this come with considerable sacrifice in image quality ? It may please be noted that my bread & butter isn't coming from these shots....
Cheers...

The 100-400L glass will give much better images over the 70-200 2.8 / 2X converter combo. How big of a difference is subject to opinion. Some would say the 2X converter seriously degrades image quality, other not so much. I think it's somewhat subject to the individuals own tastes. JMHO

I wouldn't want a 70-200 for birding, even with a 2x; it's not the point of the lens. I'd much rather a 100-400L or 150-500 or 150-600 ;)

but i guess it's much cheaper than new glass.

I'd say the 100-400 is definitely going to give you better image quality, and normally I'd just flat out say, yes, get the 100-400.

BUT: You've stated that you already HAVE the 70-200, AND you've stated that you'd like to avoid adding another piece of gear. Adding the 100-400 L glass is definitely a commitment, and if you only intend to use it a few times a year...

I don't know. It might be worth buying the 2x converter and trying it. If you're okay with the results, you've saved yourself some money and some space in your bag. If you don't like the results, return the converter and set your sights on the longer glass.

I've lost the link but over on Photography on the Net forums there was a comparison between the two and side by side they were nearly identical in performance - the 100-400mm just having the edge, but that was before editing; after and you couldn't tell them apart.
Even the nature of the blurry background rendering was very similar.

I'd say get the 2*TC - then save for something like a 400mm f5.6 if you want a higher quality reach at 400mm in that price bracket.

Thanx for your inputs....
Really appreciate it!

Using a TC does reduce quality, but not by as much as 'people on the internet' tend to think. I guess it depends on your expectations of image quality.
I once used a 70-200 with BOTH a 1.4X & 2X teleconverters mounted. The edges were a bit dodgy but the centre was pretty good.

From what I've seen & read, the 100-400mm often gives better quality than the 70-200mm anyway....so that is the 'best' option for top image quality, but it's a huge beast of a lens and not really useful for the other 340 days of the year. So I'd probably go for the converter and just use the 70-200 that you have.

From what I can tell the 100-400mm is a very variable beast. Some people appear to have very sharp copies and other softer - also it can vary a fair bit over its focal length -some people having very sharp long ends and softer shorter, and vis versa.

I not sure about the 100mm-400mm f/5.6 Lens, I only used one a couple times, But what i can say is the later is better. The 100 to 400 would be better in a sense au ny time you add a extender you ALL WAYS loose something just depends on the point of view of whats lost. But i have used my 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM with a 2x Extender and 1DX body and it worked alright when i was shooting birds in the woods under think tree cover and lots of shade it performed well but still wildlife and auto focus works semi ok, But for AI Servo with a moving target handheld it was not usable it was very jumpy it would pop in and out of focus hard ! I could hear and feel it when it focused in and out. There was not that much disruption or distortion in the image it self other then a little bit softness in the images.

I do a lot of trekking in the middle of no where and my 300mm f/2.8 is some times a burden the hold for hours. So i carry my all around lens my 70-200 and 2x extender in my pocket just in case i need a little extra reach.

If possible all ways go for the better option.

Well i hope this helps some.

It sure would help me take a dip.....
Thanx A Mighty Ton!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back