7D II review

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A very interesting review done by Tony which I follow on youtube.

Didnt finish seeing it all but here is one interesting nugget of info.
7D II kicks the 5D III ass in low light........now that's impressive!

Wow! About 4 minutes in, he says Canon's sensor in the 7D II is better than Sony. I'm a fanboy, but that's pushing it a little. Or is it?!

I want this camera to be awesome. I've been debating between this and a 6D. Its really hard for me to decide because I like the crop sensor with its percieved reach. I hardly ever shoot wide, so I like having the 1.6x. But its the low light performance that is the most important "upgrade" for me, currently shooting with a T2i.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II versus Nikon D750 versus Nikon D7100 - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

Uhhhh....look at the the total sensor scores. The 7D-II earns a total score of 70, versus the D7100's 83 overall, or the D750's 93 overall. Click on the measurements sub-tab...the new sensor from Canon shows weak dynamic range, and low color richness.

The 7D-II does offer LOW NOISE, yes, and along with that low noise is low color richness.The 7D-II shoots fast, yes, but the color is less-saturated than other cameras on the market now. Check out shots at high ISO's on Flickr: low noise, yes, and also low detail.

The 7D Mark II's overall combined score of 70 ranks 105th in the DxO Mark test rankings. The Nikon D300s also gets a 70 overall, and ranks 106th in total overall score. The D7100 ranks 22nd overall. The D5300 is 23rd.

But hey...Low noise! Low noise! Low noise!

I want this camera to be awesome. I've been debating between this and a 6D. Its really hard for me to decide because I like the crop sensor with its percieved reach. I hardly ever shoot wide, so I like having the 1.6x. But its the low light performance that is the most important "upgrade" for me, currently shooting with a T2i.
I would say wait for more info come out.
I don't think a crop sensor as good as it will be can compete a full frame sensor in low light.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II versus Nikon D750 versus Nikon D7100 - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

Uhhhh....look at the the total sensor scores. The 7D-II earns a total score of 70, versus the D7100's 83 overall, or the D750's 93 overall. Click on the measurements sub-tab...the new sensor from Canon shows weak dynamic range, and low color richness.

The 7D-II does offer LOW NOISE, yes, and along with that low noise is low color richness.The 7D-II shoots fast, yes, but the color is less-saturated than other cameras on the market now.

The 7D Mark II's overall combined score of 70 ranks 105th in the DxO Mark test rankings.

But hey...Low noise! Low noise! Low noise!
I was waiting for DXO to come out with this info.
I love low light in high ISO performance but I am well aware it is only one piece in the entire puzzle...........hmm looking at all this info I must admit it is a bit disappointing, I guess the price for low light is a very big price.
Its not like I was planing to sell my D750 LOL, not in a long stretch but still I enjoyed seeing Canon coming out with a new product.

You want to see "disappointing"? Do what I did last night...got to Flickr and look at as many 7D-II photographs as you can. Don't do a Tony, and look at a few frames of a black lens, and a chrome-colored plastic Canon AE-1 body, which together has 1) basically NO color in the camera's chrome-colored plastic finish and 2) the absence of all color in the black-finished lens. LMFAO...those "which has lower noise?" comparisons he did to open the video were amusing! Look at a bunch of actual photos from the 7D-II. Look at real world scenes.

Noise suppression/reduction at the expense of resolving ability and color richness and also at the expense of dynamic range. Seriously...this new sensor is way behind state of the art. As more and more critical, experienced shooters get their hands on this camera, the more its limitations will become discussed. YES-it shoots FAST. YES, it has a deep buffer. YES, the value proposition is good. YES-I bet it handles like a dream.

SO far, only a very,very few people have gotten their hands on this camera, and so far, mostly fanboy types who talk about low noise! low noise! low noise! at the expense of almost every other single image quality metric.

Towards the end, he actually says the image quality has "passed" Sony and Nikon. Pretty bold statement. Not sure I'm buying it just yet. But he and his wife sound convinced of it. Unless I'm misunderstanding him. Have any of you watched it through and heard this?

It's early November, and much of North America is bathed in soft, even, dull flat lighting now.

Pay special attention to ANY image that has even a little bit of sunlight in it. Look closely at fine, fine detail in bird photos.

Flickr Search: Canon 7D Mark II

You want to see "disappointing"? Do what I did last night...got to Flickr and look at as many 7D-II photographs as you can. Don't do a Tony, and look at a few frames of a black lens, and a chrome-colored plastic Canon AE-1 body, which together has 1) basically NO color in the camera's chrome-colored plastic finish and 2) the absence of all color in the black-finished lens. LMFAO...those "which has lower noise?" comparisons he did to open the video were amusing! Look at a bunch of actual photos from the 7D-II. Look at real world scenes.

Noise suppression/reduction at the expense of resolving ability and color richness and also at the expense of dynamic range. Seriously...this new sensor is way behind state of the art. As more and more critical, experienced shooters get their hands on this camera, the more its limitations will become discussed. YES-it shoots FAST. YES, it has a deep buffer. YES, the value proposition is good. YES-I bet it handles like a dream.

SO far, only a very,very few people have gotten their hands on this camera, and so far, mostly fanboy types who talk about low noise! low noise! low noise! at the expense of almost every other single image quality metric.
I believe you definitely have more knowledge and more tools to understand how to judge these sensors then me, I just went with his stellar adoring review.
DXO does agree low light performance is good but not by much then the other cameras in its level.
I am puzzled then how did he show a picture of the 5D III which looked worst then the 7D II.
From all the numbers on DXO its obvious this is not the sensor I thought it is but the pictures he took looks very convincing (for at least people in my level of knowledge).

Derrel, I'm not disagreeing with you. I find his view hard to believe after all I've read. I can see it being a great upgrade as far as build quality, 10fps, fantastic new AF system, weatherproofing, etc. But I'm just not buying that its IQ has surpassed Nikon and Sony. I don't think he's paid by Canon for this review, because he recommends other cameras to his viewers. I just can't understand why he thinks the IQ is better?!

Derrel, I'm not disagreeing with you. I find his view hard to believe after all I've read. I can see it being a great upgrade as far as build quality, 10fps, fantastic new AF system, weatherproofing, etc. But I'm just not buying that its IQ has surpassed Nikon and Sony. I don't think he's paid by Canon for this review, because he recommends other cameras to his viewers. I just can't understand why he thinks the IQ is better?!
I agree, it is confusing.
I think best is see and read more reviews as they come out and get a broader view of all of this.
DXO actually recommends the Sony 77 II over the 7D II as a sports camera.
Tony is saying the 7D II is leading in IQ in its class something DXO competently disproves, all very weird.

Yeah, I don't really know who this guy is. I've seen maybe 3 of his videos.

Derrel, I hear you... I do. But since I'm too invested in Canon glass at the moment to switch to Nikon, I'm thinking that this looks like a better option for me than a 6d because if it performs well in low light, the benefits of the focusing system, weather sealing and the potential reach are more appealing to me than the full frame sensor. IF I could afford to drop the money on the 5dIII, I would probably go with that, but since that isn't an option.... I'm seriously considering this. Does that make sense? Am I crazy?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back