7D or 5DII /5D III

DeeJay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm ready to upgrade and leave my 40D as an emergency back up. I like the images the 7D produces , but I'v heard the 5DII does a better job (when it comes to picture quality). I own and LOVE my Tokina 11-16 but its for crop sensor cameras i believe. I do have a 70-200 f4L and a 50mm f1.4(which i believe is compatible with full frame). should I kiss the Tokina goodbye and go for the 5D, or is the 7D comparable to the 5D in image quality?(in which case id go for the 7D)

HELP!

The tokina won't work as you said on a 5d. The other lenses you have will work but because there is no crop factor will appear to give you less of a zoom. An example being the 50 is a great portrait lens on your 40D but would be tighter on a 5D. If you do a lot in low light and don't need fast autofocus the 5d will in true terms give better image quality. The 7d will be like a faster slightly more pro grade 40d.

Interesting…. they say the 5DIII is faster. Ugh! decisions, decisions!

Ya sorry III may be but i only compared the 2 available as of now

What kind of photography do you plan to do with said camera? As an example, I have a 5DMKII and it is exactly the right camera for what I do. I do am into macro, extreme macro, and micro photography, and as such I manually focus 95% of the time. If you need a fast focus camera with a high frame rate the 5DMKIII would be a better bet. If you are doing telephoto photography or sports you do not want the FF cameras, the 1.6 sensor camera would serve you better (I use a 50D for this).

I have the same problem with some of the lenses that I bought for my 50D, they don't work on the 5DMKII, so I bought the ones that do fit, I love the IQ of the 5DMKII.

I like so many different types of photography. Studio, Portrait, landscape, action, candid, fashion…. I love it all, and desire to dabble in a lil bit of everything. so maybe i should go get both lol!

I like so many different types of photography. Studio, Portrait, landscape, action, candid, fashion…. I love it all, and desire to dabble in a lil bit of everything. so maybe i should go get both lol!

You should get one, and invest the rest in lenses. You're not going to shoot a whole lot of action with a 70-200f/4 IMO, much less a 50mm.

This is not an absolute, but I think of the 7D as being geared towards action (sports, wildlife ). You get the extra reach of a crop-body as well as fast, accurate and more robust AF. The 5D Mark II does have higher resolution, but it doesn't have the greatest AF system so I think of it as more geared towards portraits and landscapes. That is not to say you couldn't use either camera for any type of shooting, they just excel more in certain areas. Personally, I shoot a 7D and will wait for a 7D mark II (or whatever the 7D replacement will be )

Last edited:
I don't think waiting for the next camera to be released is of any benefit, always hoping the next one is better. To the OP if you are into all types of photography the 7D would probably serve you better. There may be a difference in picture quality between this and a full frame 5d, but how good do you need your camera to be. I suspect if you have to ask what camera to decide between a crop and full frame that your not selling photographs and that your quality level does not have to be at the 5d level.

The 7d produces great images when used correctly, is Canons best crop DSLR ever (according to many professional reviewers). If you pixel peep you may notice quality being less so than the 5d. The FF will also perform better in lower light. One of my favourite shots of my son was taken @ ISO 6400 on the 7d. While this may not stand up to pro criticism it is a shot I could never have got with a previous camera.

I imagine that if you wait a few months that you would pick up a good 7d and 5d markII for less than a mark III. It seems we can spend double the money to get any improvement

I don't think waiting for the next camera to be released is of any benefit, always hoping the next one is better. To the OP if you are into all types of photography the 7D would probably serve you better. There may be a difference in picture quality between this and a full frame 5d, but how good do you need your camera to be. I suspect if you have to ask what camera to decide between a crop and full frame that your not selling photographs and that your quality level does not have to be at the 5d level.

The 7d produces great images when used correctly, is Canons best crop DSLR ever (according to many professional reviewers). If you pixel peep you may notice quality being less so than the 5d. The FF will also perform better in lower light. One of my favourite shots of my son was taken @ ISO 6400 on the 7d. While this may not stand up to pro criticism it is a shot I could never have got with a previous camera.

I imagine that if you wait a few months that you would pick up a good 7d and 5d markII for less than a mark III. It seems we can spend double the money to get any improvement

This pretty much sums up my sentiments as well.

Great, Thanks

The Tokina 11-16 works fine on the 5D at 16mm. Anything below 15mm you start to see some vignetting.

The tokina won't work as you said on a 5d. The other lenses you have will work but because there is no crop factor will appear to give you less of a zoom. An example being the 50 is a great portrait lens on your 40D but would be tighter on a 5D. If you do a lot in low light and don't need fast autofocus the 5d will in true terms give better image quality. The 7d will be like a faster slightly more pro grade 40d.

Im lost here, how is a 50 tighter on a full frame camera? There is no crop value on fx as opposed to dx?

Im lost here, how is a 50 tighter on a full frame camera? There is no crop value on fx as opposed to dx?
Wider, sorry,meant than on a ff.The focal length on a lens is just that, on a lens. Its the size of the sensor that you have to take into account when calculating crop factor. A 50mm focal length is always a 50mm focal length lens. On full frame its 50, on a crop its 50 but gives the sane field of view as 80mm on a full frame which is the standard by how these lenses are numbered on focal length

oh few, i thought i was missing something, we are on the same page - awesome.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back