7d2 stuff

Well done in watching an hour video 12 mins after it was put up :)

Well, easy for you to say. Now my GAS is getting restless.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

^^Snerd, can you believe that I saw a deal yesterday for a 5D Mk iii with a 24-105 for less than $2,900 (which is the setup I thought I wanted two months ago) and I said, nice but I still want the 7D mk ii.

I'm really stuck as to what direction to take here. I shoot mostly landscape photography and I have a vacation in Iceland coming up at the end of November for which I must have a new camera (I'm currently sporting a Rebel T2i and it just isn't good enough anymore).

I'm loathed to buy a 5D Mark iii now in the knowledge that the Mark iv will likely be out in March '15, but definitely need something for my vacation next month. I looked at the 7D Mark ii, which technically looks like an excellent camera at a great price point that I would have little trouble selling on/trading in in March ready for the 5D Mark iv, but I feel this camera is geared mostly towards sports/wildlife photography. If I bought a Mark iii the sell-on value will likely plummet the minute they announce the Mark iv.

Anyone have any advice?

Have you thought about getting the 6D? The cost is about the same as the 7D mk ii but it's full frame. The cost on it should stay pretty level with the announcement of a 5D mk iv.

Thanks Ronlane. I did consider the 6D as an option. Do you know how well this camera performs in low light? I tend to shoot at night quite a lot. This is quite an old camera now, obviously it has a full frame sensor but I am wondering if the sensor is otherwise inferior to the brand new sensor in the 7D Mark ii?

What kit do you have at the moment? Why not rent a 5Dii or iii, and get the camera you really want in March next year. I'm planning on getting the 7D2 when I get my tax return next year, around April. Should be a bit cheaper by then as well.

Thanks Ronlane. I did consider the 6D as an option. Do you know how well this camera performs in low light? I tend to shoot at night quite a lot. This is quite an old camera now, obviously it has a full frame sensor but I am wondering if the sensor is otherwise inferior to the brand new sensor in the 7D Mark ii?

All reviews that I have seen or people I've talked with say it is good with low light. It's not an old camera, maybe 2 years now. Everything that I understand about the full frame vs cropped sensors is a full frame will pretty much beat a crop every time in low light situations.

I have a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 and a Sigma 50mm F1.4. Presumably I would need to replace both of these with new lenses should I switch to a full-frame sensor?

Unfortunately, given the length of time I will be in Iceland, the economics of hiring a camera make little sense. It would cost me roughly the same amount of money I would lose in depreciation on a 7D Mark ii and possibly 6D also.

Maybe I should skip all of these and go straight to the 1DX?

I have a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 and a Sigma 50mm F1.4. Presumably I would need to replace both of these with new lenses should I switch to a full-frame sensor?

Unfortunately, given the length of time I will be in Iceland, the economics of hiring a camera make little sense. It would cost me roughly the same amount of money I would lose in depreciation on a 7D Mark ii and possibly 6D also.

Maybe I should skip all of these and go straight to the 1DX?

Ok, I guess it all depends on your budget. I've also been thinking of going full frame, but it will be just too expensive to replace all my lenses as well. If you have to get new glass anyway, why not go full frame on a Nikon :nightmare:? I think you can get something better than the 6D for not too much more...

I'm not 100% sure you'd have to change the Sigma 50. That may possibly work on FF. I'm pretty sure that the Tokina is a crop lens.

Hey, if you've got the money, the 1Dx is the bomb for canon. Get it and a 50mm f/1.4 or f 1.2 and go on your trip.

Well I definitely don't want to start off a Canon vs Nikon flame-fest, from my understanding, generally speaking on balance both brands are as good as each other, they just have different strengths in different areas. From the reading I've done, I believe Canons tend to be the better low light camera with higher ISO performance. Therefore they suit the photography that I do better than Nikons.

Most reactions

Back