8-bit to 10-bit

Kier

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I am currently shooting on a Nikon Z6. I believe that by adding an Atomos ninja V to the mix, it will give the camera a little bit of a boost (video wise) giving the option to shoot in a 10-bit log format. I know there is lots of discussion around the web about this, however, I just wondered if anyone had some experience with this and if so, is it worth the leap going from 8-bit to 10? I know it won’t be as simple as just purchasing the (fairly pricey) monitor. I will also need to get ssd, batteries, docks etc, so was just thinking, by the time the finished video actually reaches someone’s eyes, will the difference be noticeable enough, weighing up the the cost?

Thank you anyone for taking the time to read through this.

Since no one with direct experience has replied, for now, the best I can do is post a link to Gerald Undone's look at the Z6:

"Nikon Z6 vs Sony a7 III: Video Features, 10-Bit vs 8-Bit, & Battery Life",
Posted Dec 3, 2018 by "Gerald Undone", [Length 19:14]
""

I looked into 10-bit generally a couple of years ago and decided it was a low priority. In fact, last year, I bought three new cameras, each priced at about $1,000 US and not even one of them supports 10-bit. I could have bought a camera around $2,000 US, or maybe as low as $1,500 US if I changed brands, and in that case I could have gotten 10-bit support. But to this day, I do not regret skipping 10-bit for now. On the other hand, I am no saying that I will never get 10-bit. I am certain that some day I will, but as I say, it is a low priority for me.

And really, you have just looked at the camera rig prices. You might need, or want, to upgrade your processing computer. And if you really want be able to "judge" whether you have done a good job, you might want to invest in a 10-bit supporting TV set so you can see the result as other people would probably see it. That was a part of why I was looking at TV sets in CES this year.

And here is an interesting question: Are the view finders (both the eye level and the rear) on any of the cameras capable of displaying 10-bit? Just because a camera can record it, does not mean the view finder will necessarily display it that way. None of the reviews I have seen has ever mentioned that.

Since no one with direct experience has replied, for now, the best I can do is post a link to Gerald Undone's look at the Z6:

"Nikon Z6 vs Sony a7 III: Video Features, 10-Bit vs 8-Bit, & Battery Life",
Posted Dec 3, 2018 by "Gerald Undone", [Length 19:14]
""

I looked into 10-bit generally a couple of years ago and decided it was a low priority. In fact, last year, I bought three new cameras, each priced at about $1,000 US and not even one of them supports 10-bit. I could have bought a camera around $2,000 US, or maybe as low as $1,500 US if I changed brands, and in that case I could have gotten 10-bit support. But to this day, I do not regret skipping 10-bit for now. On the other hand, I am no saying that I will never get 10-bit. I am certain that some day I will, but as I say, it is a low priority for me.

And really, you have just looked at the camera rig prices. You might need, or want, to upgrade your processing computer. And if you really want be able to "judge" whether you have done a good job, you might want to invest in a 10-bit supporting TV set so you can see the result as other people would probably see it. That was a part of why I was looking at TV sets in CES this year.

And here is an interesting question: Are the view finders (both the eye level and the rear) on any of the cameras capable of displaying 10-bit? Just because a camera can record it, does not mean the view finder will necessarily display it that way. None of the reviews I have seen has ever mentioned that.

Thank you for getting back to me. After reading through your thoughts, and watching the recommended video (great recommendation by the way), I don’t think it is going to make a huge difference. I also think that I may getting the concept or 8bit/10bit and shooting “log” a bit confused. The Nikon can’t shoot log internally and requires the external monitor, now I was under the impression that shooting log is a must for aspiring filmmakers looking to up their game, however, again, looking at the log compared to the flat profile, I feel there may not be a huge amount in it by the time it has been through premier and ends up on people’s screens?

As for Log v Flat, if you can adjust the contrast, saturation, sharpening and noise reduction of your Flat profile, then really, a Log profile is probably unnecessary except in a very unusual situation. In other words, you might never actually need it within your lifetime. And even if you have it, it might not be the best option for a particular recording.

Beyond that, why are you worried about being an "aspiring" film maker? If you have a working camera setup, go out and record something. If you like what you get, then you're done. If not, the see what changes you can make with the adjustments that your equipment has now. If you hit a limit, then you know what you need to get next. If you can't afford to spend your way out of a problem, then find another solution. If you can't do that, then shelve the project and start another. Don't be an "aspiring film maker," be a "film maker." Go out and use your camera. Unless it's too cold outside, like it is where I live. There's always that. . . .

As for Log v Flat, if you can adjust the contrast, saturation, sharpening and noise reduction of your Flat profile, then really, a Log profile is probably unnecessary except in a very unusual situation. In other words, you might never actually need it within your lifetime. And even if you have it, it might not be the best option for a particular recording.

Beyond that, why are you worried about being an "aspiring" film maker? If you have a working camera setup, go out and record something. If you like what you get, then you're done. If not, the see what changes you can make with the adjustments that your equipment has now. If you hit a limit, then you know what you need to get next. If you can't afford to spend your way out of a problem, then find another solution. If you can't do that, then shelve the project and start another. Don't be an "aspiring film maker," be a "film maker." Go out and use your camera. Unless it's too cold outside, like it is where I live. There's always that. . . .

wow, thank you VidThreeNorth! You have literally made me feel inspired enough to grab my cam and get out and film! (It is actually just warmed up slightly where I am). I think I need to admit that, I see other filmmakers with flashy new gadgets and sometimes convince myself that that is the key to taking my video to the next level. And it isn’t! Like you said, getting out there and getting creative is the key for now.

I would hate to sound like a broken record, but again, Thank you!

Most reactions

Back