80-200 or 70-200

TJ K

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok well right now I have 700 and it seems like my d90 just won't sell so I think i'll probably just go for the glass. I'm really leaning towards the 80-200 but how important is VR? Has anyone here owned both and what are your thoughts. It will take me a lot longer to save up for the 70-200 also. Thanks!
TJ

Go for the 80-200. It is a great lens, and it will hold decent value, so if you still want the 70-200 later, you can still sell it to fund that venture....exactly what I did.

How did you like the 80-200 and how do you think it compares to your 70-200? Thanks!
TJ

I really think the VR feature is nice for doing a couple of things; one is panning. I like panning, and a stabilized lens is better than a tripod for panning. Back in the "old days", slow-speed pans of 1/3 to 1/8 second were often spoiled by a slight bit of up-and-down camera motion, but with the VR and IS lenses, panning is a lot better; the keeper rate goes up like 90 percent.

Stabilization is also useful for shooting from a moving platform-car,bus,boat,ferry boat,aircraft, or when you are slightly winded or out of breath OR when it's really windy outside. I think VR is a really useful feature. My 80-200 experience is from the older, mechanical AF models which are kind of clunky and slower focusing than the 7-200 VR is. The 70-200 VR, the original model, is a pretty good lens on DX,and it handles great, due to the skinny barrel.

I think the 70-200 VR is also excellent for shooting slow-speed flash shots hand-held, dragging the shutter to pick up ambient light. VR is not a necessity, it's a nicety. Like a remote control, for your TV set. Remember when there were no remotes?

I had the two-ring D model 80-200, and the image quality was fantastic. If I had to put a figure on it, I'd have to say it was about 90%-95% the IQ of the 70-200.

The focusing on the D model wasn't lightning fast, but it wasn't bad, either.

As far as the VR, I do love having it when needed. I don't use it all that often, but it's definitely nice to have eventually.

IMO, if you have your heart set on the 70-200, the 80-200 is a great stepping stone in the mean-time, while you save up the remainder of your funds.

I might just save for the 70 then. Hopefully the prices will drop a bit more in a while because of the VRII and all. I'm hoping for it but not counting on it.
TJ

Why dont you try selling your d90 at a price it cant be had at new ;)

I might just save for the 70 then. Hopefully the prices will drop a bit more in a while because of the VRII and all. I'm hoping for it but not counting on it.
TJ

I wouldn't count too much on that. If recent history has anything to say, the prices will be going up quickly (i.e. - SB800's). From many recent posts on the 'net, there are more than a few complaints regarding the new 70-200 VRII's, so the VRI's might be getting snatched up, and fewer people will be parting with the ones they have.

I can only speak for the 70-200mm..... f'kin awesome. Either on the D300 or D700, f'kin awesome. There are reports that the 80-200 is better corner to corner, but I don't find an issue with my limited experience (1 year). Works great on the D80 & D300, but I prefer it on the D300 for birding.

Never mind the subject in the photo, but look at the separation in this.........
733555409_PMtBi-XL.jpg
pretty buttery in my opinion.......

Apparently the 80-200mm is quite good also, but this is all I know.

Love my 80-200 AF-D. I am sure that the 70-200 VR focuses faster, but I don't have a problem with the 80-200.

I don't have either so I can't comment on IQ, but I can say I've been eyeing the completed listings on ebay and some mint/near mint shape 70-200's have been going around $1350 on ebay.

Eventually going to pull the trigger myself. Keep it in great shape and worst case it'll command ~$1000 several years from now. I'd be in it for the haul, but to look at it as a few year rental for $350 bucks is a steal.

I haven't looked much at the 80-200 2 rings but probably not a bad buy either. Also check out Craigs. For every clown trying to command retail on used glass there's an occasional great deal.

if you're selling the D90 what camera is next? the 70-200 VR1 supposedly vignettes on full frame bodies when wide open.

i used it on a crop sensor over the weekend and i do love it, it's a great lens for sure.

I've only shot sports at night under some stadium lights with the 70-200, but it was a great lens, very heavy and sturdy, I was disappointed in the speed of the lens but it was still fun and exciting, I am purchasing the 80-200 for personal use however, I have no need for the VR right now and it's not worth an extra 800-1000 in my opinion for me

it really depends on what you "NEED" it for

Why dont you try selling your d90 at a price it cant be had at new ;)

Look in my sig it's NR. Look around ebay my price wasn't far off most go for 7+

if you're selling the D90 what camera is next? the 70-200 VR1 supposedly vignettes on full frame bodies when wide open.

i used it on a crop sensor over the weekend and i do love it, it's a great lens for sure.

Hopefully the d300(s). If i sell my d90 i'll get a new body and it i keep my d90 i'll get 80-200 most likely.
TJ

I have the single ring 80-200 and love it. Only cost me $500 in mint condition.

One thing to consider, if you upgrade to a d700 you'd be getting about the same stop increase in iso as you get with VR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back