I really think the VR feature is nice for doing a couple of things; one is panning. I like panning, and a stabilized lens is better than a tripod for panning. Back in the "old days", slow-speed pans of 1/3 to 1/8 second were often spoiled by a slight bit of up-and-down camera motion, but with the VR and IS lenses, panning is a lot better; the keeper rate goes up like 90 percent.
Stabilization is also useful for shooting from a moving platform-car,bus,boat,ferry boat,aircraft, or when you are slightly winded or out of breath OR when it's really windy outside. I think VR is a really useful feature. My 80-200 experience is from the older, mechanical AF models which are kind of clunky and slower focusing than the 7-200 VR is. The 70-200 VR, the original model, is a pretty good lens on DX,and it handles great, due to the skinny barrel.
I think the 70-200 VR is also excellent for shooting slow-speed flash shots hand-held, dragging the shutter to pick up ambient light. VR is not a necessity, it's a nicety. Like a remote control, for your TV set. Remember when there were no remotes?