8TH FEB: Head on with a couple of Apaches

lloydh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydh.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Popped down to my local airfield Halfpenny Green also known as Wolverhampton Airport were two Apaches had stopped off. As the pilots were leaving the Cafe a friend asked which way they were departing, they replied "Where do you want us" so a couple of nice head on shots were called for before they departed. Hope you like the shots C+C welcome.

1. Getting Airborne

AgustaWestland Apache "Sherman" by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

2. Moving into position

AgustaWestland Apaches by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

3. In position

4. Moving Across

5. Tried a different edit of the shot above, bit of a rotation and mono treatment.

6. There was also an RAF Defender there..

Royal Air Force Defender by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

Royal Air Force Defender by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

8. And of course there were a few civvies around

Hughes 300C G-BOXT by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

Hughes 300C G-BOXT by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

Many thanks for looking..

I have a question for someone on the Apache helipcopters was in the big antenna circle looking thing above the propellers?

This is definitely not what I thought these photos would be from the title!
Nice collection and great that you could take advantage of a situation as it unfolded.
#3 and #5 are my favourites. I really like the composition in three and the head on shots really bring out that menacing (they are coming for me) feeling.
#5 works (for me) because it is so tight and my eye keeps being drawn to the pilots which can be seen clearly. Adds a real human touch which is missing from many aircraft shots where the focus is on the plane.

#5 rocks... like your take on it! Nice set!

I have a question for someone on the Apache helipcopters was in the big antenna circle looking thing above the propellers?

The Radome. It houses the Fire Control Radar (FCR) target acquisition System and the Radar Frequency Interferometer (RFI).

The raised position enables the detection of targets and launching of missiles while the helicopter is behind obstacles.

I'd hate to be the guy on the receiving end of any business coming out of those guys! Nice shots.

Do you have any of the Apaches without the propellers cut off? Otherwise nice set. I like your treatment and tilt in the edited one.

The Radome. It houses the Fire Control Radar (FCR) target acquisition System and the Radar Frequency Interferometer (RFI).

The raised position enables the detection of targets and launching of missiles while the helicopter is behind obstacles.

Thank you for explaining that to me. I was wondering what that was since seeing the movie Firebirds with Tommy Lee Jones & Nichols Cage.

#5 for the win!

I'm with Tee... #5 just really stands out of the bunch. Way to take advantage of a situation that arose for you.

Agree that the apaches look odd with just the tips of the blades cut off, they should either be included or cropped out more which is why I think the tighter crop on the B&W works so well- that's a great shot, very intimidating!

Most reactions

Back