$9k budget on lighting and studio, what to get? Portability is a must..

I'm pretty sure the OP had it dead set in his mind he was going with Profoto and was hoping to validate his thoughts by collecting pats on the head and "oohs" and "ahhh's" from the crowd, only to receive many replies helping him make use of his money in a more feasible manner. This explains why he never replied yet logged in often and finally replied when he made his purchase. Like I said, as long as he's happy then I say mazel tov!

Thats presumptouos... However not entirly inacurate. That answer and many like it are the reasons I didn't return. Allot of attitude and people making assumptions. Not to mention that the absolute best responce came only after I made my purchase, thank you studio 460. This forum tends to have allot of that and also allot of narrow minded people. As for looking for, pats on the head... Seriously...I dont need affermation on how much I spend, just looking for other system options before I spend.

Also I fail to see how a post like that doesn't generate a distain. It adds no value to the original postings and is just inflammatory.

Also consider that i had another member ask me in a PM about my purchase because they didn't want to ask in open forum for fear of the forum reaction. That says allot about this particular group. I would admit, I only come here as a last resort anymore. This was my first post in a while and I was disapointed. Since I was not getting what I was looking for in responce I saw no need to return.

Studio460, yea my flickr account really only has allot of my work I have done from along time ago and I keep only certain images there. As with allot of people I know updating it has not been a priority.

I was mostly interested in systems that would be 100% portable and hassle free. I wanted to be able to use it in studio as well as on the road. The profoto gives me that in spades. But before I made that investment I was looking for other system options. Unfortunately most just balked at my choices and told me to buy something cheaper. Cheaper wasn't an issue... Other options or systems were. Since I was looking at a level and quality that should have been considered in the responces. Like, go look at bronocolor or similar. But all people could seem to do is freak over the cost of profoto...

Perhaps I have no one to blame but myself.. I knew how this forum acts and I set myself up. I don't care if I get flamed for this or not. I am just expressing my point of view and explaining why I didn't return.

Actually, the first 28 posts were pretty darn good (until my snarky post). Some offered opposing points of view but they were all geared in the direction of helping you choose. I think your limited amount of gear listed for a studio to location set-up had too high of a price for what you get scenario. That is why myself and others were encouraging you to look at other brands. If you notice, I even mentioned you should leave $2,000 aside to allow for growth and extras. That's coming from experience. And honestly, if you would've answered my post about being dead set on Profoto instead of ignoring it, I would've offered up suggestions pertaining only to Profoto. But, you didn't. The reason I asked a short question was because it would've saved a lot of posters the time of explaining and suggesting lighting systems. Even after you came back to announce you ended up going with Profoto, I still congratulated you and offered up feedback on third party modifiers.

Lastly, while I admit my post was snarky, it was only after several days of you not replying to anything other members had offered up. You've been here six months with minimal participation. Do you know how many low-post members ask these types of questions and don't return? Seriously, it gets frustrating. You can be upset at my snarky post but to take your frustration out on the rest of the members who posted in this thread is absurd.

Most reactions

Back