A bidding war

Looks like there are potential millionaires all over this forum..

I think Andy Warhols self portrait went for something like 38million.

Eh just the superrich in a another world to the rest of us I think.

Strange though at the price I'd have expected it to be either better or for charity.....

Strange though at the price I'd have expected it to be either better or for charity.....

Ill go locate these super rich... mingle in thier circles.. speak highly for a period of time of a relatively unknown photographer known simply as "Overread" whos photos have sold for millions at low key auctions... You sell an original photo to them for ~ 5 million, we split the profits...... Win.

It has taken over 35 years for Cindy Sherman's work to have reached these lofty heights, but even back in the early 1980's she was the darling of the fine art establishment. She now has tens of thousands of young,female wanna-be's who littler Flickr with their self-absorbed, navel gazing crap. Some of them are actually quite talented, too, and digital cameras have made it even easier for them to get interesting and also technically capable results on each little fantasy scenario they contrive. I find it odd that Sherman's preoccupation with self-introspection and play acting has become such a HUGE cultural meme now that social media is so widespread.

Cut off head and elbow, seems a bit underexposed and white balance is too yellow. Wait, what?

Ill go locate these super rich... mingle in thier circles.. speak highly for a period of time of a relatively unknown photographer known simply as "Overread" whos photos have sold for millions at low key auctions... You sell an original photo to them for ~ 5 million, we split the profits...... Win.

I like this plan! Go for it
I'm sure I've got loads of my originals too - you know the really rubbishy things that sell for millions because they are the hallmarks of my future great talent!

That sells for 4 million....I am still new at this, but WHAT!!!

The price does not speak to the value of the work. It's speaks to wealthy individuals who both want the same thing, and auctions often become a game of winning.

The price does not speak to the value of the work. It's speaks to wealthy individuals who both want the same thing, and auctions often become a game of winning.

It also speaks of knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time. Richer people are always looking to invest in art and other items because its a way of keeping lots of money tax-free and also a lot easier to pass onto descendants without inheritance taxes stealing it away as well. Course this all works in a slightly artificial world, but once enough rich and influential people have their money in something; no matter how bad it actually its, the short term worth of it remains high.

lots of sayings about events such as this. A fool and his money, or no friends at auctions, and more. Auctions have always been about rivalry and competition. $4mill ain't what it used to be.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back