a bunch of free filters!

molsen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got like 40+ free lens filters last night. Story:

My grandfather has advanced Alzheimer's and can no longer pursue photography. He can barely work a p&s, let alone a full manual 35mm camera. :sad: He shot photos for the city of Atlanta Chamber of Commerce, and was a military photographer and journalist during WWII and the Korean War. As such, he was amassed a HUGE collection of 35mm bodies, lenses, accessories...and filters.

His wife decided it would be best if we could try and sell his old stuff, give it away, or at least see if someone could use the stuff. Well my mom and I were going through all of his old stuff to see if I could use any of it and I can! He has cases full of 49, 52, 58 and 62mm filters...and adapter rings for all of the above and then some!

The two lenses I have now use 52mm and 58mm rings, but his adapters allow me to use pretty much all size filters on both lenses. So I got circular polarizers, skylights, UV, colors, gradients, warming, cooling, macros, magnifications, weird glass effects....just a huge selection of filters.

The only downside is this was probably before the day where multi-coated filters were widely available, so despite their sharp optics, they do produce some annoying results when looking into a point of light. But I can look past that since they were free. :greenpbl:

I haven't had a chance to try them all out yet...I have to first work on cleaning and organizing them all. But so far, I'm especially stoked about the polarizers and macro filters.

Anyways, I'm just here to share my delight....and maybe gloat a little bit :mrgreen:

P.S. If anyone is interested in lenses for a Pentax 35mm manual body (k mount, I believe), PM me and I'll find out more details for you next time I get to my parents' house. He has LOTS of lenses we're trying to get rid of. Most are Vivitar and Pentax, I believe, and there are several converters and adapters and what nots

man if I was you, I woulda taken some of the film bodies and lenses as well. Free stuff from Grandpa is the best...cause you know he took care of it.

yea, i was thinking about adopting the film stuff. he has a whole slew of darkroom equipment too...i still could grab it if i wanted to

it's just such an expensive hobby and I'm not that experienced with it. I feel it'd be more worth it to get the stuff to someone who can really do something great with it.

and yes, it's all in flawless condition

deluxe, but you're going to have to watch out for vignetting with the smaller filters, eg. a 49mm filter on a 58mm lens.

Other than that, SWEET!!

You could still take the stuff. Even if it's an expensive hobby...it's that much more stuff you don't need to buy. I wish my grandpa had a huge arsenal of old Cameras...

He's got a Yashica...lol. I'm probably gonna go grab it sometime...he passed away several years ago, so it's not like it's getting any use.

Go get all the stuff, and pick up a roll of Fuji Velvia 50 and go to town.

If the polarizer filters are in fact circular, then they can't be so old as to not have coating, unless they were really cheap filters. (non-circular were used for older film rigs, and won't work on AF cameras)

If the polarizer filters are in fact circular, then they can't be so old as to not have coating, unless they were really cheap filters. (non-circular were used for older film rigs, and won't work on AF cameras)
well then these might be newer. but they're def. circular polarizers and don't mess up my image quality

Most reactions

Back