a business from my photo collection?

warfootage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello every one.
My name is Ian and I just found this great forum this morning.
I think this is the perfect place to ask for advice on a project I am starting.
Ok for almost 8 years now I have as a hobby been collecting original 35mm colour slides taken before and during the Second World War.
I have had great fun trying to find this stuff and have been lucky enough to assemble a little more than 9500 private colour slide snaps.
So with this collection that spans both civil and military and in almost every European country, North America and Asia. I think this would be a great foundation for an online photo database business.
I don’t even know the right name for this type of business.
But I was thinking of scanning my slides at the largest resolution, maybe 30-40 megs and putting clear thumbnails on a website so people can buy them.
So I have a few questions that maybe you guys can help me on.
1. Is there anyway I can protect these images in copyright?
2. What is a fair price for these images?
3. Is it best to price according to how they will be used? I.e. in a school report/a million copies of a book?

So if anyone can give me any advice I would be most grateful.
Also I have started the first few pages online for this project, maybe it will give you guys a clearer idea of what im going to try? www.farbdias.com

Many thanks and Greetings from the Republic of Ireland!
Ian

Welcome to the forum.

First of all, do you own the copyrights to these photos?

Thanks Big Mike for the welcome.
You have a great site here, congratulations!

About my collection, all of it comprises of original 35mm colour slides that were taken and developed by soldiers during the war.
Nearly all these men now are sadly passed-away and these photo slides have been sold by the families to me and to the antique dealers that also collect items for me around Europe.
So the slides are one of a kind.
I think I should be fine with copyright as many other collectors and business have made very successful business also selling digital scans of similar images.

I have heard actually that there is a federal archive in America that a public person can register images for copyright? Is this true and can a non American like my little Irish self use such a service?

Many thanks and Greetings from Ireland.
Ian

When you bought the slides (which are the originals - no negatives used) you also bought every single copy in existence. I'd say scan and sell. Let somebody prove you're not the owner of the copyright!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back