A Call to Arms: STOP THE OVERMODERATION OF OUR THREADS!

I find comment #1 disturbing! While I do not always agree with Overread, I think he does try to be fair (more so than some at least) and I doubt that he "hates" "American" or "Freedom". Naming names makes that almost a "Personal" attack... which is a big POO POO deal!

I hope you don't take me seriously?

Overread only hates New England

I am sure your nude body shots would induce something... but inadequacy is not one of the things that come to mind! More like terror, or nausea! ;)

more like induce boners!

I disagree that they (the mod team) lack a sense of humor also... (one of them maybe), but in general... the mod team does have a sense of humor! Even Terry (I know she has a sense of humor for a fact!) ;)

I haven't "lol'd" or "ROFL'd" once.

Did you ever volunteer for research with Timothy Leary, by any chance? just curious!

C'mon now, just because you were around for the invention of electricity doesn't mean we are all that old.

I have drawn my own conclusions:

1. Overread hates American/Freedom.
2. The moderating team has seen my nude body shots are all are feeling inadaquate so they take it out on me.
3. No one on the team has a sense of humour.
4. All of the Above.
Bad form. Welcome to my very short Ignore List. In fact, it has whittled down to one. All others have since been banned.

BTW, the 45% ratio doesn't mean a thing, but have fun with it anyway. :meh:

I have drawn my own conclusions:

1. Overread hates American/Freedom.
2. The moderating team has seen my nude body shots are all are feeling inadaquate so they take it out on me.
3. No one on the team has a sense of humour.
4. All of the Above.
Bad form. Welcome to my very short Ignore List. In fact, it has whittled down to one. All others have since been banned.

BTW, the 45% ratio doesn't mean a thing, but have fun with it anyway. :meh:

Sigh, I was totally not serious.

I will disagree with Lew is the fact that no forum in the history of the internet has ever gotten noobs to search before starting a thread. So chasing that lead is a fool's errand.

This. Is always a big problem with internet forums. But instead of jumping on the newer members straight away, either walk away from the post, or kindly give the user a link to a similar post that contains the information they are searching for. I love "Let me google that for you" with new members.

Maybe we could sticky one of the good threads on the hot button topics for easy reference?

Edit: I didn't realise the post I quotes was over a page back. :p

Even Terry (I know she has a sense of humor for a fact!) ;-)

Charlie, if you are going to reference me, couldja PLEASE get the spelling right? And here I thought those naughty PM's meant something to you...I feel so dirty now. :meh:

I love "Let me google that for you" with new members.

I'm not a fan of it mostly because:

1) Google doesn't filter stuff - yeah its easy for us to know what is right and wrong and to filter the masses of results; but for newbies its just information overload.

2) Google relies upon asking it the right question to get the right reply. Often as not newbies are not even asking the right questions (of us and of themselves) to make the right choices off. So part of many newbie threads is helping them to first understand the right questions.

Then we also have the personal effect - people come to forums because they want to interact with people not search engines. Sure you can find a lot from search engines; but some people prefer to come to a community to ask or just to get a different opinion. As a forum we are dedicated to that group of people and its what we thrive upon - otherwise you could all; for every advanced and beginner question - just go and google it; but the site would be darned quiet

My favorite thing about lmgtfy.com links is that, generally, the guy providing them hasn't even looked at the results. They're often completely useless.

My favorite thing about lmgtfy.com links is that, generally, the guy providing them hasn't even looked at the results. They're often completely useless.

Or one of the first two or three is a link to TPF (I think I even saw one once where the first or second link was the same thread where the newbie was being told to lmgtfy!)

I'm not a fan of it mostly because:

1) Google doesn't filter stuff - yeah its easy for us to know what is right and wrong and to filter the masses of results; but for newbies its just information overload.

2) Google relies upon asking it the right question to get the right reply. Often as not newbies are not even asking the right questions (of us and of themselves) to make the right choices off. So part of many newbie threads is helping them to first understand the right questions.

Then we also have the personal effect - people come to forums because they want to interact with people not search engines. Sure you can find a lot from search engines; but some people prefer to come to a community to ask or just to get a different opinion. As a forum we are dedicated to that group of people and its what we thrive upon - otherwise you could all; for every advanced and beginner question - just go and google it; but the site would be darned quiet

Very true. But surely benefit could be had my simply pointing a new user in the right direction before getting hostile? A lot of users don't know their way around forums yet, it takes time to learn where all of the sub forums are, etc.

I think the only reasonable course of action at this point is to make me a mod. That way I can introduce the "common man" element to the team.

Sure in time I will become drunk with power, but until then my rule would be fair and just.

Im in the "if you don't like how the mods close threads, then leave the forum boat". Wow, thats a long title for a boat.

My reasoning is "you can't always get what you want", just because YOU would run the forum different, that means anything to the owner of this site.

I don't think I should have gotten a speeding ticket for going 77 mph in a 70 mph zone. However I broke the "law" so I deserve it right?

The forum "law" says the mods can close a thread for any reason they feel necessary.

I find comment #1 disturbing! While I do not always agree with Overread, I think he does try to be fair (more so than some at least) and I doubt that he "hates" "American" or "Freedom". Naming names makes that almost a "Personal" attack... which is a big POO POO deal!

I hope you don't take me seriously?

Overread only hates New England

I am sure your nude body shots would induce something... but inadequacy is not one of the things that come to mind! More like terror, or nausea! ;)

more like induce boners!

I disagree that they (the mod team) lack a sense of humor also... (one of them maybe), but in general... the mod team does have a sense of humor! Even Terry (I know she has a sense of humor for a fact!) ;)

I haven't "lol'd" or "ROFL'd" once.

Did you ever volunteer for research with Timothy Leary, by any chance? just curious!

C'mon now, just because you were around for the invention of electricity doesn't mean we are all that old.

Never!

Never!

Never?

Old? Hah... like a fine wine... ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back