a candid shot

jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm trying to build up to people pics, so I took advantage of a Halloween party this past Friday to play around with a group who sort of knew me, and wouldn't mind having a camera in their face (well after an hour of me doing it, they loosened up anyway). So, here is a shot that I took thinking it would be a mere snapshot, but I really liked. I'm not so sure about the effects I did with it in Photoshop--it always looks different on my iBook than it does on my PC at work.

Anyway, I'd like comments on the comp as well as the effects (again, I'm happy to provide the original if anyone else wants to play with it).

Oh, BTW, the light is red, and I had played with keeping that red, but I think it looked too odd.

Thanks.

20051030211500_img_3239.jpg

not crazy on the compo. I'd crop in from the right and down from the top...add more space to the left and bottom...and lose the drink can.
The effect is BW conversion from what I see...are you shooting film or did you add grain in elements?
On my calibrated monitor the blacks look too blocked up...too dense that is. The overall effect is too flat IMO. It lacks punch.
The expression is OK.
Good attempt...keep at it. :)

Not bad, though the picture overall seems "bleak". No offence intended, but this is very common - shocking and captivating pictures are usually of something that seems unusual to the eye. In this pic there's just a guy with a very simplistic expression on his face and a coffee mug. In a doorway. :) It doesn't tell a story about who that man is, what his emotions/feelings are like. The surroundings don't help either. Just like JonK said - this is a great attempt, youll do much better if you keep at it.

Thanks, guys. Sash, don't ever apologize. As long as it's constructive, I have no problems with any kind of comments.

Jon, I'm using digital. Yes, I added the grain. I agree that it's too dark, but I don't get that. It looks lighter on my laptop (iBook G4), but when I look at it on my monitor at work, you can't see any of the detail around the shoulder.

I would do the crop and everything you are suggesting, but I'm not sure I'm going to keep the pic up on the blog. If I do, I'll repost.

Thanks agian for the suggestions.

OK, sorry this took so long. I took your advice about the cropping, and I kept it in B/W, but I didn't do any adjusting yet.

Is this looking any better or should I give up on this particular pic ?

IMG_3239.jpg

Most reactions

Back