A challenging maternity shoot

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
26621259059_21f1dcda51_z.jpg

38341867856_0deec36e48_z.jpg

38419203082_c5d028b8be_z.jpg

Ok so, I whiffed this a bit. Here are a few photos from a shoot I had a couple days ago.
2 things I take for granted were against me; communication and my equipment.

Now, I typically communicate via phone but this particular person insisted on private messaging. That's an issue because things can easily be misread or misunderstood. Long story short, these lovely people (and I sincerely mean that) spoke almost no English. Either she had someone translate her texts or she just used an online translator.

This made this shoot incredibly challenging. You don't realize how important communication is between you and your clients until there is none. They didn't understand requests. I had my wife assisting me, but it got to the point where I had to run back and forth to make minor adjustments.

My go to lens, 70-200mm started having focusing issues so now I'm stuck with primes. I basically shot this entire shoot with an 85mm. This also added to the challenge. I commend prime shooters and the "zoom with your feet" crowd, but I like to have control over various distortions. So now I had to change my shooting style AND do it without being able to communicate lol.

This had me rattled. Rattled to the point where I missed minor things like in photo number 3, his shirt was haphazardly tucked in. I'm usually very on point with seeing that but it got over looked. Photo 1 is another good example. Looking at that photo drives me nuts. It was to the point where she was physically moved to turn slightly towards the camera, and then when I began to shoot she would turn her profile to me.She would get fixed and then move again. I never wound up getting a usable shot. Also, rattled to the point where I basically shot the entire shoot too tight.

It was a pretty good learning moment and took me way out of my comfort zone and it shows in the shoot. I think the hardest part was the lack of communication though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back