A Child's photo...

NikonNewbie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a photo I took of my friends little boy...it was taken on a somewhat overcast day at like 3:45 in the afternoon...with the len's my camera came with. Can you give me some C&C on it? I have 3 more I'd like you to look at, I just applied for a job as a family/child photographer for one of those run of the mill places in a department store...do I have what it might take?
ry%3D400

This one is my Dtr...I took it while it was raining off/on...I like it but something just seems off.
ry%3D400

and this one...of a dragonfly...I got his wings pretty good..but his face didnt come out to good...dont know what I did wrong the other ones have a clearer face...I was literally almost touching him to get this close with the 55 lens
ry%3D400

Your photos are pretty nice. The cloudy conditions in your kid shots make for some softer lighting than you'll get on a sunny day. The dragonfly looks good and the face is not clear because the depth of field (area in focus) is very shallow because of how close you are combined with a larger aperture.

I just applied for a job as a family/child photographer for one of those run of the mill places in a department store...do I have what it might take?

Eh.. you have what it takes photo-skill wise. The hardest part about that job is engaging the people, and the kids. You have to entertain the kids, get them to laugh.. it can be exhausting. Doing this for 8 hours a day will probably make you not want to run home and grab your camera either. You can give it a try, but don't be surprised if it drains you and kills your spirits :p

Your photos are pretty nice. The cloudy conditions in your kid shots make for some softer lighting than you'll get on a sunny day. The dragonfly looks good and the face is not clear because the depth of field (area in focus) is very shallow because of how close you are combined with a larger aperture.

I just applied for a job as a family/child photographer for one of those run of the mill places in a department store...do I have what it might take?

Eh.. you have what it takes photo-skill wise. The hardest part about that job is engaging the people, and the kids. You have to entertain the kids, get them to laugh.. it can be exhausting. Doing this for 8 hours a day will probably make you not want to run home and grab your camera either. You can give it a try, but don't be surprised if it drains you and kills your spirits :p

Yeah...that is one reason why I wasn't looking forward to working at one of those places...especially at Christmas time....so the dragonfly pic...I used the auto setting on that..what could I have set it to-to make it clear?
I wanted to make the background blurry...and thats how I got it to look...I can't seem to manage how to figure out photoshop to blur the backgound of pics..I have several that need blurring badly. :confused:

no not at all...I was hoping they would teach me since the ad said Experience not necessary but helpful.

I figure they will only pay minimum wage so they get what they pay for :lol:

I was thinking about working with Olan Mills during the off season, and they let me check all their stuff out. You don't need to have what it takes for those places. Basically they tell you the camera settings to use for any type of shot. They tell you how to place the camera, the lighting, and there are only a set amount of poses they will do. If a customer asks for a pose out of their pose catalog (didn't know what else to call it) they won't do it. So basically everything is already done for you. You just have to try and get the kids to smile and hit the shutter button.

I was thinking about working with Olan Mills during the off season, and they let me check all their stuff out. You don't need to have what it takes for those places. Basically they tell you the camera settings to use for any type of shot. They tell you how to place the camera, the lighting, and there are only a set amount of poses they will do. If a customer asks for a pose out of their pose catalog (didn't know what else to call it) they won't do it. So basically everything is already done for you. You just have to try and get the kids to smile and hit the shutter button.

Woot! Holla..that's where this job ad was for! Good to know I wont be expected to know my ****.
:lol:

I dont seem to have a problem making kids laugh...I have 2 of the brats myself...most of the faces I get from kids when I take photos of them are because I say stuff like "guess what?" and follow it up with "chicken butt"

The funnier stuff you say to a toddler the more they want their picture taken...and plus I take a bunch before I get serious with the kids making all sorts of funny faces...for example
ry%3D400

Then I show them..and they laugh and then we are good to go with real smiles...
but ...thats just my method...:mrgreen:

oh but this girl of mine...she makes some really mean ones first...and most of the time..lol
ry%3D400

Most reactions

New Topics

Back