A couple of nature's for critiquing

Tweek Sound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
tweeksound.com
Here are 2 more pictures I took a few days ago and made black and white.
With the help of people in this forum I've devised a way to make black and whites that I think look more detailed in a way.
Maybe more contrasty.

I Use 1 or 2 hue/sat layers, one set to soft or hard light blending and maybe a gradient map and or a duplicate layer of the origianal that is set to colour burn. use the opacity to blend these 3-5 layers and seem to get a decent B&W. Not nessasarily a accurate one though.
Then I mess with exposure settings and levels to tune in the lighting even more.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerav0w/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/fluffypuppy.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerav0w/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/cowlegtree1.jpg

Any ideas on these is appreciated. I'm really learning a lot from this forum.
Thank you!

Matt

Try to keep the pics per post to one in this forum, it makes it alot easier to critique photos...
that said, I do like the first B&W shot, though as far as composition, i think its a bit to centered and it could use a bit more depth of field. Not much, but just enough so all of the puffy thing is in focus.

now im a film person so people who know more about digital may say my next advise is null and void, but when i shoot B&W i use a red filter. when you shoot B&W with a red filter it helps you get a much more contrasty image. (I hear you can do this in photo shop by selecting just the red channel)

I love the 4th photo!! What a great shot! Others are good as well (but love #4)

The second BW image is, IMO, a good abstract, and it works well in BW. For some reason, it seems upside down, or perhaps merely topheavy, but the image itself is nice and sharp, with good patterns.

For the two dragonflies, I'd suggest using a flash for two reasons. First, for my taste, the insects blend too well with the background. Using a flash, especially up close like this, will brightly light the insects, allowing you to stop down, darkening the background.

Second, using a flash will let you stop down the aperture, increasing depth of field enough that the entire dragonfly will be more in focus.

My opinion, hope you find it useful :)

Good luck!

Thank you fightheheathens for the advice. This is really great. I've already learned so much from this forum! Thanks

Also thank you Kristie and JamesD for the comments and advice!

Really cool! Thanks

Matt

Most reactions

Back