My husband's 3 faces & a simple set background

"Covid-19 portrait"... I like that new term. I think if you give that 1.3 EV of plus exposure it will look quite nice.

Last edited:
It does look too dark to me, seeing it on Android phone.

It looks dark on my Samsung phone too. I'll bump the exposure and rework the other 2 photos. Thanks Derrel for the feedback.

It does look a little dark (on my laptop) but good job with the red lightening. I like all of them, but the best look for him IMHO is the goatee. For such a simple setup, Cheryl, you did very well!

Now he'll always have his Covid-19 portraits!

Good to know on the color. I didn't want to take too much red away since that is his normal color and I didn't want to end up too green. Thanks Terri. So funny the comments about keeping the goatee. I do like the look on him, but he doesn't.

@CherylL pretty good job on the red reduction, might want to check the chin. Once you use this method a few times it becomes a super fast way of targeting skin discolorations. Sometimes it's helpful to use multiple layers rather then trying to do it all at once. Also works equally well on blue and yellow.

I'm viewing the edit on an android tablet which generally provides a good reproduction. I'm not sure that it's that dark, but rather the area of shadows vs midtones and highlights makes it appear so. Rather then raise the overall exposure try this. Add a curves adjustment layer. Use the curves TAT, then click and drag up on the forehead, to brighten. Now add a black mask. Now take a soft white brush set to 100% opacity to punch holes where you want the increased brightness (Think eyes, cheeks, shirt, etc, anywhere you would expect highlights). Punch as many or few holes as you need. Adjust the opacity of the layer to suit, or if need be dbl click on the curves to increase or decrease the effect.

The final edits triptych. I added light on the hair and overall, reduced the red via Hue/Sat, cleaned up the spider veins per his request, cleaned up the fly away hair, darkened shirt and the usual contrast etc basic edits. Thanks for the feed back and the tips!

Keith Triptych
by Cheryl, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back