A couple of questions reg Canon lenses and bodies

Hobbes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First of all I am currently using eos 40D with 17-85 is kit lens but I am looking to replace or complement it with a EF 24-70 f/2.8L lens because I am not satisfied with the sharpness of my current lens. I have heard several people on here talking about AF micro adjustment feature in EOS 50D and 7D which would result in sharper images or something like that and that makes me wonder if it would be better if I get a new body instead of the 24-70 lens.

No, get the new lens. You'll see a much, much greater improvement in your images with the new lens over another body.

Investing in good glass is usually the best idea.

Id go for new glass for sure. Its amazing the difference you get. I just got my new lens and I love it:)

No, get the new lens. You'll see a much, much greater improvement in your images with the new lens over another body.

Id go for new glass for sure. Its amazing the difference you get. I just got my new lens and I love it:)

Thank you all for the replies!
so I guess that AF adjustment thing won't make my 17-85 is usm lens take as sharp images as the 24-70 L lens? Well another reason why I am interested in that lens is the weather sealing because my current lens got quite a lot of dust particles collected inside it though it probably doesn't affect image quality if I don't use very high F numbers but it's still very annoying. Oh and I am kinda wondering if I would get sharp images when I shoot wide open at 70mm with that lens course my current lens gives crappy results wide open at it's longest focal length.

the af adjustment is only if the lens is slightly back or front focusing. you can simply do in body what you'd otherwise have to send in the lens for. however, there's only a set amount that you're able to correct for. if the lens is worse than that then you'll have to send the lens in to be corrected anyway.

Thank you all for the replies!
so I guess that AF adjustment thing won't make my 17-85 is usm lens take as sharp images as the 24-70 L lens? Well another reason why I am interested in that lens is the weather sealing because my current lens got quite a lot of dust particles collected inside it though it probably doesn't affect image quality if I don't use very high F numbers but it's still very annoying. Oh and I am kinda wondering if I would get sharp images when I shoot wide open at 70mm with that lens course my current lens gives crappy results wide open at it's longest focal length.

There's weather sealing on the 40D? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think it had weather sealing. If that's the case, the weather sealing on the lens isn't all that helpful; trust me, I got sand, or dirt, or something in my 24-70 after taking it out into the rain, but of course, my body isn't weather sealed.

Enhanced Durability
Recognizing the often rigorous shooting conditions encountered by professional and advanced amateur photographers, Canon design engineers made the EOS 40D SLR's magnesium alloy exterior even more ruggedly dependable than its predecessors with upgraded dust- and weather-resistant construction, particularly around the camera's connection ports, battery compartment, and single-slot compact flash (CF) memory card door.
...quote from the 40D product page on amazon.

the XXD bodies are like this. not the full on weather sealing of the pro bodies, but better than the no weather sealing of the rebel/XXXD series.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. Cool beans. I didn't know that, mostly because I didn't care (since I don't, and likely won't own one).

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. Cool beans. I didn't know that, mostly because I didn't care (since I don't, and likely won't own one).

hey! why not?? I mean the 40D/50D/7D are so much better than the Rebel series you are using and probably feel a lot better in your hands especially when you attach them to your large L lenses :p I own also own a XSI but the only thing I like about it is it's smaller size and lighter weight other than that it's totally inferior compared to my 40D :( If you don't believe me just check out this comparison :p

Canon 40D vs Canon 450D / Digital Rebel XSi | Digital Photography Notes

as for the weather sealing. I just wish Canon put some rubber around the buttons too course I am sure lots of dust get in between those buttons :(

Most reactions

Back