A couple street photography photos

Layspeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
British Columbia, California & Philippines
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These photos were taken during a little walk around Chinatown, Manila a week or so ago by my wife. I have permission to post these. We'd like C&C if you have time. I have to say she's got more guts than me when it comes to street photography. :thumbup:

4379805071_9045bffd28_o.jpg

4380576034_7e7e52c593_o.jpg

4379759041_d772c16de9_b.jpg

4379759019_abd10af860_b.jpg

I don't have any CC but I do want to know, was the chick in #1 really green or was that done in post?

The third photo is fantastic! I like the processing as well. The others dont tell as much of a story for me, but I enjoy the candid nature of them.

I remember when I was a kid, you used to be able to buy little chickens from the pet store around easter that were dyed all sorts of different colors, the boy in the first photo sure looks happy to have that one.

#1 would be good for National Geographic, very cute.

#2 needs to be tossed, IMO. Sorry, to be so harsh but it is very grainy and out of focus. :(

#3 is cool. I like the PP except for the crop. I would crop more of the father out or get the rest of him in the picture.

#4 looked to have potential but currently had too many distractions, like the yellow on the cart and the items cluttering the top of the cart. Since your profile says it's OK to edit your photos, I did. I desaturated it and the shirt was slightly overexposed so I used the burn tool on it. Hopefully it's to your liking.

#1 and #3 are fantastic. The little boys expression is perfect. Its a nice candid shot and I feel it shows a bit of the boy's character and joyous nature. The bird on his head is great too, and very green! In #3, the color tone is very nice and fitting. I like the composition as well. Personally, If I had to change anything about that 3rd one, I probably would've tried to include the entire man's body to sort of mirror the boy's position. I'm curious, is the man the boy's father? Great pics!

best wishes

Javier

#3 is cool. I like the PP except for the crop. I would crop more of the father out or get the rest of him in the picture.

Billy beat me to it! Again, having the man's entire body in the shot would help enhance the photo much more.

#1 would be good for National Geographic, very cute.

#2 needs to be tossed, IMO. Sorry, to be so harsh but it is very grainy and out of focus. :(

#4 looked to have potential but currently had too many distractions, like the yellow on the cart and the items cluttering the top of the cart. Since your profile says it's OK to edit your photos, I did. I desaturated it and the shirt was slightly overexposed so I used the burn tool on it. Hopefully it's to your liking.

#1 Agreed

#2 It's fine to be harsh. I appreciate real C&C. Yes, he was not meant to be the main subject of the picture. He happened to walk into the frame while my wife was snapping a scene. I just thought it was funny how he was looking directly at the camera. The photo was soft, I can see now the sharpening (done in Flickr) didn't help.

#3 It's cropped tightly to the left because there was part of someone else's leg there. I liked the interaction between the two so I didn't want to chop him out of the scene.

#4 The cart is supposed to be for her selling stuff so I didn't want to lose it. I can see how the bright colors are distracting though. What if I just cropped it to show just her in the chair with half the cart (the bright part gone)?

The third photo is fantastic! I like the processing as well. The others dont tell as much of a story for me, but I enjoy the candid nature of them.

I remember when I was a kid, you used to be able to buy little chickens from the pet store around easter that were dyed all sorts of different colors, the boy in the first photo sure looks happy to have that one.

Really? I'm pretty sure they dyed this little chick also. The boy was very happy with his chick and was giving it a "ride" on his little toy car. I may post the picture later.

Thanks to all who have commented so far. :D

Yea, I think cropping the brightest part of the cart may do. Give it a try and let's see it.

Also, I didn't mean to crop the father out completely. It's just weird to see only his butt missing. I think cropping to the shoulder on the father would make it look like you were closer and give a more emotional response to the capture.

All in all, I like these. :thumbup:

Yea, I think cropping the brightest part of the cart may do. Give it a try and let's see it.

Also, I didn't mean to crop the father out completely. It's just weird to see only his butt missing. I think cropping to the shoulder on the father would make it look like you were closer and give a more emotional response to the capture.

All in all, I like these. :thumbup:

Ah, I see...will give it a go after lunch. Thanks!

4380952537_b587606d2d_o.jpg

I changed the crop slightly, and I think it actually brings you closer. Thanks for the suggestion billy the kid43!

4381728822_e6186e9034_o.jpg

Changed a couple things on this too. Just trying different things out with Picnik. Better or worse? I'm feeling this edit much more than the original I posted though.

Anyone, please feel free to comment on or edit anything I post up. My wife would appreciate it as well, since she was the photographer on these. Thanks!

Xavi said:
#1 and #3 are fantastic. The little boys expression is perfect. Its a nice candid shot and I feel it shows a bit of the boy's character and joyous nature. The bird on his head is great too, and very green! In #3, the color tone is very nice and fitting. I like the composition as well. Personally, If I had to change anything about that 3rd one, I probably would've tried to include the entire man's body to sort of mirror the boy's position. I'm curious, is the man the boy's father? Great pics!

best wishes

Javier

Javier thanks. Yes that is the boy's father. They were some sort of street vendor and many times the younger kids (non-school aged ones) are usually near by. But this kid caught the attention of my wife because he was literally beaming with joy compared to the other kids on the street. He got a tip from us for being himself ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back