A Different SB-800 question

Oh and I used all my money to get it... Most kids ask me if my parents got it all for me, but they didn't.

I also have 3 part time jobs... + all the photography jobs i do... and school

I do to much.... :/

See, i only work during the summer.. So 1100 is really more than i can afford. But im young and can make mistakes.

My dad went out of town so i cant order the flash yet because nobody will be home to pick it up.

Anybody else have any input?

Aw cmon if you are going Nikon macro why not get the right flash....
True

However, with either the SB-600 or SB-800 and wanting to pre-flash only, have a look at this thread - post #12.

Might I also suggest with either of the SB-'s, this Bogen light stand and this clamp. It's a way to keep your hands on the camera. Just a thought.

Pre-flash only? I'm confused here, what are you talking about?

The D50 has no commander menu in camera if that is what you are speaking of.

@JIP, that would be nice down the road, but i want SB-800 because i do portraits as well. Actually going to do a friends engagement shoot when the seasons change so i figured might as well get a flash to cover all my needs for now... I heard the right diffuser can make it work with an onboard flash

@JIP, that would be nice down the road, but i want SB-800 because i do portraits as well. Actually going to do a friends engagement shoot when the seasons change so i figured might as well get a flash to cover all my needs for now... I heard the right diffuser can make it work with an onboard flash

You dont even need a diffuser for you in camera flash. Just lower the power of the in camera flash to its lowest setting.

Its good that your thinking wide angle...:sexywink:.....:lol: ( pun intended )

Yeah Scott, i didnt catch my error. i meant diffuser on the sb800

Of course by onboard flash i meant the SB-800 and not the actual onboard flash.. duh, psh, get with it man LOL

Missed that small detail. :confused:

The light stand and clamp are pretty handy for off camera use of the flash. You can do a search on the forum for ebay wireless triggers (~ $40) for off camera flash as well. I realize you have a budget, but food for thought. Even get the SB-600 with the extras and save up later for the 800. I have both flashes and the 600 is still pretty damn good.

About the only time I have my flash mounted on camera is when I'm at the animal shelter taking photos for their website (firing backwards). Then it's a matter of convenience.

*Deposited 2 cents.*

Pre-flash only? I'm confused here, what are you talking about?
"...it will only send a pre-flash signal to fire the SB-600 and will not contribute to lighting the scene."

This is for bodies that have the Commander mode. As noted above, I overlooked he had the D50.

"...it will only send a pre-flash signal to fire the SB-600 and will not contribute to lighting the scene."

This is for bodies that have the Commander mode. As noted above, I overlooked he had the D50.

Ahh ok.

But why spend money on an ebay trigger system, when the 800 has the slave capabilities built in? plus, then you get all the features, and more power, for about the same price? ( haven't looked at the price of ebay triggers lately )

R1C1.jpg

Or even like this ;)

Nikon-speedlight-r1c1-r1-tm.jpg

The SB-800 is an excellent flash with many capabilities and the ability to tilt slightly down is nice. But it won't be much good on camera for 1:1 as you will be very close to your subject and the flash isn't that effective that close.

The R1C1 would be a better choice. You could also look for a used SB-29 ringflash. I still use mine although I like the R1C1 better for many subjects.

Obviously cost is an issue.

Most reactions

Back