A Different SB-800 question

Im convinced, will order the sb800 this weekend... Then i can save up for sb600 and use that wireless with the 800's commander ability. (though by then i hope to have a d200 or d80)

Since this thread is so hot, anyone know how the 105VR works out as a portrait lens vs the 85mm 1.8?

note - As of now, i use the 24mm reversed with the onboard flash. With this setup, my working distance is within an inch or two usually. The onboard flash with my custom milk jug diffuser does an excellent job lighting my subject at that short of working distance. Is the lens length the difference?

Or even like this ;)

Nikon-speedlight-r1c1-r1-tm.jpg

You go Val!!!! LOL

Im convinced, will order the sb800 this weekend... Then i can save up for sb600 and use that wireless with the 800's commander ability. (though by then i hope to have a d200 or d80)

Since this thread is so hot, anyone know how the 105VR works out as a portrait lens vs the 85mm 1.8?

note - As of now, i use the 24mm reversed with the onboard flash. With this setup, my working distance is within an inch or two usually. The onboard flash with my custom milk jug diffuser does an excellent job lighting my subject at that short of working distance. Is the lens length the difference?
Are you sure you don't have those model numbers reversed?

B&H price for the SB-600 is $185USD and the SB-800 is $315USD. Wouldn't you be saving up for the more expensive one, or is that just me?

No its correct, after i buy the sb-800 i can save up for the sb-600 for my future purchase if i wanted to use a flash off camera. I want the better one now :).

So it is me!!! I went the other route. 600 then the 800.

Regardless, enjoy the SB-800 as it is a very good flash.

No its correct, after i buy the sb-800 i can save up for the sb-600 for my future purchase if i wanted to use a flash off camera. I want the better one now :).
You will LOVE it, and become addicted to lighting :D

Or if you want to keep the infrared focusing capapbilities then you could spring for the SB-29.

why would this one not work to the "fullest extent" and what is the "fullest extent" that i would be missing?

I think that the SB-28 supports all the features of the flash. Not sure about the one in that package... But i dont know for sure at all...

well, its the same price to get the package without the flash bracket and chord and then get that chord seperate so i will do that and make two orders

i still don't understand all the hype around lighting, do the built in flashes suck that much?

I'm considering the SB-400, how much "worse" is it than the 600? It's only $100 on amazon. . ., is the extra $85 for the SB-600 worth it?

i think the extra 85 would be worth it...

but they are telling me an extra $100 is worth it not to get the sb-600... one must decide when to stop

i still don't understand all the hype around lighting, do the built in flashes suck that much?

I'm considering the SB-400, how much "worse" is it than the 600? It's only $100 on amazon. . ., is the extra $85 for the SB-600 worth it?

Built in flashes dont suck, per say...

Its more a fact that being stuck with the on camera flash when you are trying to control the light in your pictures is very hard... Especially when you want to take your flash off camera... I haven't seen a built in flash that you can take off :greenpbl:

If your looking to boost your on camera's flash, then the 400 is great! But if your looking to take it off camera at all, you should consider the 600 or 800.

As far as the difference in the 600 and 800, its really what your ultimate plan is. If your plan is to have a multiple light setup, the you should have at least an 800 to control the 600's.

But if your want to start off camera with the 600, that's fine too, its just there are a few, slightly annoying limitations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back