a drive to see JM's Bird

Raymond J Barlow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raymondbarlow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking at pics of so many Bald Eagles at this place in Iowa/Wisconsin was to much to bear. Daisy recieved her USA Visa this week, and we were off to the land of water/ice on the Mississippi with the Great American Bald Eagle.

Totally spontanious, we just jumped in the truck, and drove there, leaving at 2 AM this past Wednesday AM... A few short snozzes, and in 15+ hours, we were there taking the first shots at 400 PM Central time.

The next am was cloudy, and i hoped for a break, and the sun was out for a bit. The afternoon was not too busy so we decided to come home. You don't need to look far to find an eagle at this place, but getting good light, and close shots is not easy.

We will be back here for sure! Thanks to AirVenture, as it was his post that got me going.

Lots more on the website, please have a look there, and post comment if you wish... there is a comment window for each shot, or album in the galleries.

Eagles10.jpg

Eagles26.jpg

Eagles18.jpg

Eagles6.jpg

Thanks for looking.

This is the dedication that I feel I don't have: to set out at 2 a.m. on a 15-hour drive to get to this place ... but you are sooooooooo rewarded with the outcome of your photos. I like all four of these presented here, all four, not one is my favourite, they are so good! The fishing eagle with his prey in his claws ... wow! But like I am saying: they are all WOW!

And Daisy's got her visa?
So that means we're gonna meet in DC in April????
Yuppieh! :D

Rob said:
They're all good, but the last one is my fave! Worth the effort!

Rob

Same here...these are great ray :thumbup:

dang Raymond, these are perfect man! i honestly don't get how you pull this off. even with the proper equipment, i'd be a duck outta water.

thanks for sharing these awesome captures with us...you're the best!!!

I love number 2, it's so cool how you can see the water dripping off the bird.

this is something what I cannot affors right now... maybe someday when I'll have my own life I'll be able to get up at 2 am and drive somewhere...

you have wonderful pictures! you know this :D

Thanks everyone, It was a brutal drive getting there, because the previous night, I had a very poor sleep, then a busy day, and then on my way at 2 am, after being up since 7 am the morning of Tuesday. Upon arrival, and seeing so many birds around, I was very wide awake!

When I arrived at the dam on Thursday AM around 8, there where lots of eagles around, and feeding, but the clouds were thick. On this one tree, there were 6 eagles. I was talking to a old-timer there, and he told me one year there were hundreds of eagles around, and 51 in this one tree.

We will be going back soon.. I am not all that happy with what I came home with, so the eagle fever is defiantly still cooking!

I use the Nikon D70 and the 80-400 VR lens Lee.. and as for your treatment suggestion, I am not familiar with high key. It is already cropped, and I like how the sky surrounds the bird, and gives it a cool effect.

here is one of my favs from the trip..

Eagles20.jpg

Thanks again for all the inspiring words!

JonMikal said:
dang Raymond, these are perfect man! i honestly don't get how you pull this off. even with the proper equipment, i'd be a duck outta water.

thanks for sharing these awesome captures with us...you're the best!!!

I am far from the best JM, lots of great photos around, but I do try pretty hard! I wish I had the right equipment.. this cam does not track and focus like a "real" camera does.. and the lens is junk compared to what's out there. I do my best, and hope someday i have an extra 15 g kicking around to spend on my passion (obsession).. ??

Hi Raymond,

for an explanation of high-key, look here:

http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques/viewtechnique.cfm?recid=361

My suggestion for this treatment weren't intended to be a "better" picture - merely a different treatment. I've tried to illustrate this (quick and dirty :) )

eagles18 copy.jpg

You mentioned that the D70 doesn't track like a real camera - are you using the continuous focus (AF-C) and predictive (dynamic) focus settings in the custom menu? Using these settings should help, as would a higher ISO setting for faster shutter speeds. The 80-400 VR (Nikon or Sigma?) are excellent consumer/prosumer lenses, but more accurate and faster tracking with the D70 would be achieved with faster (and more expensive) lenses. In short, I don't think the D70 is the limiting factor in your setup. Of course, autofocus performance would be slightly better with the professional cameras such as the D2X or even the new D200, but the D70 does a commendable job for most non-pros :)

Hope this helps,

Leeko

Most reactions

New Topics

Back