a drive to see JM's Bird

lee_alkureishi said:
Hi Raymond,

for an explanation of high-key, look here:

http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques/viewtechnique.cfm?recid=361

My suggestion for this treatment weren't intended to be a "better" picture - merely a different treatment. I've tried to illustrate this (quick and dirty :) )

eagles18 copy.jpg

You mentioned that the D70 doesn't track like a real camera - are you using the continuous focus (AF-C) and predictive (dynamic) focus settings in the custom menu? Using these settings should help, as would a higher ISO setting for faster shutter speeds. The 80-400 VR (Nikon or Sigma?) are excellent consumer/prosumer lenses, but more accurate and faster tracking with the D70 would be achieved with faster (and more expensive) lenses. In short, I don't think the D70 is the limiting factor in your setup. Of course, autofocus performance would be slightly better with the professional cameras such as the D2X or even the new D200, but the D70 does a commendable job for most non-pros :)

Hope this helps,

Leeko

Thanks Leeko., I like your rendition, looks cool.
I use the AFC, not sure on the dynamic focus settings, I will look into that!
the lens is the Nikon VR. I will study the link you have posted.. thanks so much~!

that's a beautiful shot Raymond,

and perfectly sharp too. My only nit to pick would be a touch more space at the bottom of the frame below the wing, but it's not always possible when tracking these critters ;)

Great work,

Leeko

www.alkureishi.com

lee_alkureishi said:
that's a beautiful shot Raymond,

and perfectly sharp too. My only nit to pick would be a touch more space at the bottom of the frame below the wing, but it's not always possible when tracking these critters ;)

Great work,

Leeko

www.alkureishi.com

Thanks Leeko, I would have a better frame if I traked this flight better, but this is almost full frame! It's the best I could do in PS. I hope to be heading back to the Mississippi this week, hoping for some light!

Fantastic work Raymond...I love the Bald Eagle. I can't wait to photograph the migration in Alton IL next year again,

Ahhh Ray, once again you have me in AWE! I WISH I was able to just pick up and go anywhere I wanted to shoot!
Im a lover of eagles and hawks, I just dont know where to go thats nearby to shoot!

Sounds like a long trip for a day or two, but looks like you got some great shots... actually you are probably on the road right now, can't wait to see what you come back with!

Ray, how could you not be happy with this series, they are crystal clear and sharp.
Wanting more I can understand, but I see nothing to not be happy about.
4 and 5 are my favorites.

Bill

Man ! These are great Raymond, was waiting to come home and check these out. Very, very crisp as always !

thanks guys, appreciate your comments!

Will Bill.. basically I am happy with these shots.. but to me, a pic is only good if it is worth printing. Of all my shots from this trip, I fould only a few (maybe 3) worth printing., and for this I am disappointed, and inspired. I just got back from Iowa, and hope to have something up later today.

Most reactions

Back