A feature that really should exist on all dSLRs. [Rant]

Hell, If it won't make coffee for me in the morning when I get up and vacuum the floors while I'm gone then this is just another whine in search of some Cheese. :lol:

I just want snazzy colored camera bodies. Black is so boring.

Raspberry red, lemon yellow, and orange orange!

rainbowvp1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think something like bluetooth would be more useful than a USB port. It would be nice to be able to useful a cell phone or tablet or something in the field for more advanced controls/interface. This may already exist.

I think something like bluetooth would be more useful than a USB port. It would be nice to be able to useful a cell phone or tablet or something in the field for more advanced controls/interface. This may already exist.
Bluetooth adapters plug into USB ports.

Bluetooth is designed to be a fairly short-range radio system. WiFi has an advantage in that distance doesn't really matter. The external WiFi modules (which are a bit clunky) allow for remote control, but the Canon 6D comes with built-in WiFi and they make free app for your phone/tablet that will let you control it.

Nothing else needed, there is too much crap on them anyway all you need is a shutter button, aperture adjustment, shutterspeed adjustment and iso adjustment

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Minolta had expansion cards, kind of the same idea as the USB-based controls.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I guess I am just old-school. For me, a camera must have ISO, aperture, speed, and maybe white balance if you do not shoot raw. All else is luxury and just not used by me ;) Guess I am just too lazy!

But I do understand, that some people want more features!

I guess I am just old-school. For me, a camera must have ISO, aperture, speed, and maybe white balance if you do not shoot raw. All else is luxury and just not used by me ;) Guess I am just too lazy!
Yeah, who needs a meter or way to focus anyway? Those are luxuries that just get in the way.

Yeah, who needs a meter or way to focus anyway? Those are luxuries that just get in the way.

OK, forgot about the meter to be honest ;) That is quite useful.

But 6 of my cameras still do not have a meter ;)

It's not that I NEED more features. I commonly shoot with my trusty old Olympus OM-1 manual film camera that doesn't even have a working meter anymore. (use a $5 external old one I got at a garage sale with it), and it does just fine.

It's more like "This camera has all kinds of sensors and motors on it, and why shouldnt customers be able to get their hands on them for free, since they already exist in the camera?" Well as it turns out, they can. Sort of (API is not exactly as user friendly as it could be. Java for example would be an obvious choice for a language to write the coding API in, for easy communication across various devices, but Canon only has it in C natively, and firmware is not very "plug and play").

Also, most of the things you would use this for would be re-optimizations. For instance, different ergonomics, button layouts, or different autofocus software to meet abnormal needs, or whatever. Such that you would install it (or link it to a removable peripheral) and then forget about it / have it work in the background. That doesn't neccesarrily add up to more buttons to push or any more complicated of a shooting experience.

A good example would be if you are a sports photographer, and your camera's auto-ISO feature assumes that you are shooting handheld still subjects. Thus, it will only crank up the ISO once shutter speed goes below 1/60th or something like that.

But if you're shooting fast moving things, you would want ISO to be bumped up if it falls below 1/500 or 1/1000th perhaps. The Canon 7D can't do that normally, for example, but it probably could with custom programmed firmware. This is not a feature that you would ever think about again, though, probably, after installing it. Thus, it improves your exposures for your usage case, but does not add complexity.

OK, forgot about the meter to be honest ;) That is quite useful.

But 6 of my cameras still do not have a meter ;)
Yeah, about 90 of mine don't either (though I rarely use most of them, and my handheld meters take care of that problem in any case when I do). :)

Most reactions

Back