a few birds, and a squirrel d800 wildlife photos with various lenses

matthewo

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
finch on my bird feeder. sigma 150-500mm at 500mm cropped a lot. fill flash from OCF on tripod 8-10 feet from bird right side.

finch_1.jpg

redtail hawk in a local state forest, i walked miles of trails but i found this guy/gal? making noise way up in a tree. sigma 150-500 at 500mm cropped.
hawk_1.jpg

white egrit at a nearby lake. sigma 150-500mm at 500mm
untitled_1.jpg

nikon 500mm f4 p with tc14e II = 700mm then cropped. manual focus
500psample_1.jpg

nikon 500mm f4 p with tc14e II = 700mm then cropped. manual focus
sq_3.jpg

nikon 500mm f4 p with tc14e II = 700mm then cropped. manual focus, lots of cropping. should have just let this one go... haha
redhed_1.jpg

sorry, i had the sigma 150-500 longer, so the nikon 500mm f4 p (manual) shots are not really many for me to choose, only really used it 2 or 3 times, i need to get out there and shoot with it more.

Last edited:
Some nice shots... look really good! Looks like you got a GOOD copy of the Sigma!

thanks guys, i did sell the sigma recently to buy the 500mm f4 p. the sigma was good for the price, but autofocus was pretty unreliable at times.

just got back from shooting with both my 70-200mm with tc14e and the 500mm with and without the teleconverter. i will post up some more pictures once i go through them

Thanks for showing these shots. I had no idea that the teleconverters had such high quality. When I started taking pictures in the 50s, teleconverters cost about $35 and produced soft, low contrast and hazy pictures........at least when shooting slides. Now you have stimulated my interest. I know that one pays for this with lower EV, but for outdoor nature shots its much less costly than buying say a 600mm telephoto lens.

yes the tc14e is pretty good as far as minimum IQ loss. i find it a little harder to focus using the teleconverter vs just the lens, but that could be mostly the extra 200mm it adds. but most of my shooting has been smaller objects so i have been using it a lot. im really looking forward to trying out the tc16a. its an older teleconverter with a 1.6 crop but adds limited auto focus. i really wish someone could transport to tc14e glass into the tc16e autofocus system that would be a winner.

The lighting on the squirrel whiskers and fur works very well. Also I really like the lighting and details of the tree with the woodpecker...too bad birds don't pose in the perfect spot! Great pics.

man birding it tough... anyways. here are a couple from today, just to get back on topic with some of what the 500mm f4 p 20 year old manual lens can do, on a d800. its fun though, the last few days i have been walking trails at local national forests, to find not much of anything... maybe winter is not great where i live. i really should travel to the beach or mountains.

hope this photo does not gross too many people out, but this on the side of the road was one of the only up close with birds i got today...

also a video if it does not bother you.

500mm wide open at F4 1/1600 / 1200 ISO , this was shot out my passenger side window when i pulled my car over at the side of the road.
vultures_1.jpg

100% crop of the above, pretty happy with how well this lens works. when you have time to focus it.
vultures_1_100.jpg

had to bring this one back from the dead, thats why it doesnt look great(but the more i look at it i like it, it just looks more like a painting). ISO was high, shutter speed was too low, shooting wide open with the teleconverter. very much cropped. but little birds are really hard with a manual focus lens. im trying im trying, LOL.
small_yellow_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
nice! the sigma shots are good, but you can tell a significant improvement in the 500 f4p. you've got me looking for one now...what kind of head and tri or mono pod are you using with that monster?

Nice shots. Just curious with your first shot of the finch, at 500mm and cropped a lot. It seems to me that you were very close anyway and at 500mm the only cropping required would be minimal if at all.

I'm also considering the Sigma 150-500 (and maybe a D800 - though I have to dump my Canon gear).

Steve.

Matthewo, the second shot in your first series is an adult Red Shouldered Hawk, just in case you count species :)

Most reactions

Back