A few more christmas photos for cc

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys

Here are a few more photos I took and edited. These def are not as "cold" as the last picture I put up. I know the jammies are busy but I think it works being with the christmas theme in all. I'm open for some CC please :)

Number 1

Gavin4 by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr
1/60, f2.0, iso 160 ( I had it on auto iso )

Number 2

Gavin3 by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr
1/100, f2.0, iso 400

Number 3

Gavin2 by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr
1/100, f2.0, iso 400

Number 4

Gavin1 by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr
1/60, f.20, iso 125

Things I want to work on: I want to work on my composition. How could I have does these better. The reason why a lot of these have cut off arms are b/c he was sitting in a buzz lightyear chair which def didn't go with the theme but it was the only way I was able to bribe him to take a pic lol! In a few of these I probably should have uped my shutter speed. I feel like a lot from this set (which had like 50) were blurry, probably from camera shake and Gavin moving. So lets get it at it and CC me up good please hahah :)

Happy holidays all!

They look soft to me. Is there a specific reason you are shooting on auto Iso? I think it is more simple to get things dialed in when you have control over that parameter. I wonder if some o the softness comes from shake due to slow shutter speed. I know you are shooting in low light which calls for a wide open aperture without adding light. You may consider adding some flash and trying to get a little separation from your background. Just my .02. Cute kid though!!

They do look soft. It's probably camera shake/movement and shooting wide open. You really have to nail the focus to get the eyes in focus @ f/2. You had a lot of factors working against you. You could have bumped your ISO up more to get a faster shutter speed or so you could choose a smaller aperture. As long as the photo isn't underexposed you shouldn't have any noise.

Megan

I think it was last week I had posted a thread about me learning my 50mm lens better b/c I feel like my photos were oof. Well these are the photos. lol. these are the ones I feel like were the best outta the bunch. I did do some more photos today but didn't like how they came out but they were not soft like this and I used 1/100 for my shutter speed. I was just testing things out I wont post those pics. The way he was sitting in his chair the pics were ALL KNEE lol. Something another person had mentioned Big Mike? I think... was that what af mode I was using b/c I felt like my lens never stopped trying to focus. I was in al servo in these with the slower shutter speed. So I changed it up to see how things came out and used al focus and the lens did focus and make the beep. Ya live and ya learn :) I still used them for my dorky xmas cards they were in a collage anyways so to the nieve family member they'll never notice hahaha!

Megan has some good tips here. Too Shallow of Depth of field, and too slow of shutter speed. I realise that the lighting is limited, so your options are either 1) bump the ISO.. some of these are all the way down to 125, not sure what camera you are using, but if its not too bad with ISO you could goto 800 and still be pretty good, as long as you don't under expose the photo.

2) Add supplimental lighting

Its likely that with someone his age that he doesnt sit very still, so your probably going to want to increase the SS a bit also.. Although if you are fairly steady with the camera (and he will stay still for you) 1/60 - 1/100 is do-able with the nifty fifty (which was the used range that you mention).

If I was you, (assuming you dont have extra lighting), I would keep the shutter around 1/60 to 1/100 as you used, increase the ISO to 800, and then use a higher F#

Thanks Willis! I was gonna give that a try tomorrow :) I have a huge window next to that tree about 5 ft wide almost floor to ceiling and a window that is also just about floor to ceiling that has to be 12-13ft long so lighting isn't too much of an issue in this room.

As far as supplimental lighting do you mean by using a lightstand or softbox? I do have extra lighting. I wanna say 3 umbrelleas that are 2400 watt each. Honestly I took these at 8am if I had taken them at 10-1 the sun just beats in here. I would be able to keep the iso down then also and have plenty of lighting. He had woken up and said cheese! and ran in front of the tree and I said OMG lets do it kiddo! lol!

I do want to play with my f stop more and decrease it. I had taken some today that honestly came out cute except I had taken them at like 2.0 and his knees ate the whole picture and were WAY OOF b/c of my dof and were I had my fstop set at.

Thanks for the tips always greatly appreciated :)

Most reactions

Back