A few photos of my friend

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy started out as my intern about a year ago, but over that time we've become great friends. We were out scouting a location yesterday, and I snapped a few shots in order to test the lighting and get a feel for the location. I ended up deciding on a different location for the shoot I was scouting for, but I definitely plan to save this location for something else.

Sorry, I know they're all practically the same crop/ pose/ expression. I wasn't feeling very creative or feeling like I wanted to pose him, I just wanted to get a sense of the location before deciding to use it for the upcoming shoot. Either way, I like these photos of my friend and thought I'd share them. Critique is welcome.

All captured in natural light with no modifiers.
EOS 5D MKI
135mm f/2L

@f/2
1/800th sec
ISO 400
_mg_9264_by_danostergren-d9gfr1m.jpg

@f/2
1/250th sec
ISO 400
_mg_9274_by_danostergren-d9gfr1y.jpg

@f/3.5
1/200th sec
ISO 400
_mg_9317_by_danostergren-d9gfr26.jpg

@f/3.5
1/250th sec
ISO 400
_mg_9331_by_danostergren-d9gfr2h.jpg

@f/2
1/400th sec
ISO 400
_mg_9347_by_danostergren-d9gfr2x.jpg

@f/2.8
1/400th sec
ISO 400
_mg_9355_by_danostergren-d9gfr38.jpg

Very crisp clean, love the gorgeous blur. Nice colors I like the darker fall vibe. The quality of the pictures is what I hope to learn how to do. I would die to get that blur. lol I'm very new at this but your pics have some nice qualities

The Emperor's New Clothes

Those looks great, especially for test photos! :)

That is a BIG nose ring!:aiwebs_016:

Very crisp clean, love the gorgeous blur. Nice colors I like the darker fall vibe. The quality of the pictures is what I hope to learn how to do. I would die to get that blur. lol I'm very new at this but your pics have some nice qualities
Thank you! The blur is an effect of using a telephoto focal length lens with a fast aperture (I use a 135mm f/2 prime lens). The lens renders background blur quite nicely. You could also get a similar look with an 85mm f/1.8 lens. The lens doesn't really play much role in the quality of the photo though; what matters is lighting and focus.

Nice photos, i'm drawn to the second one.
Love the beard.

Great light , nice clean images , great bokeh . I would kill for a location like your first one , man cool .

Great light , nice clean images , great bokeh . I would kill for a location like your first one , man cool .
Thank you. The location is a big park in Southeast Portland Oregon called Laurelhurst Park.

good bokeh ........ but that nose ring

great work as usual. It's almost like you know what youre doing.

Wish his expression was a little better in some of these.

Beautiful work, as always, Dan. You're a master with natural light and the casual pose.

Most reactions

Back