A few pics. be rough.

s.johnson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey.. here are a a couple pics from some of the rolls I just got developed, I would appreciate any comments/criticism or advice.

103_6.jpg

079_21.jpg

104_7.jpg

thanks

not my kind of photography but I do like the 1st and 3rd shot

and welcome to the forum

#1 is pretty good, I just feel the subject (you?) is being a little bit theatrical, though it is relatively subtle. The same shot without the stick/antlers I think I would have liked alot more - the stick makes it feel staged. I feel the same about #3 in that its well shot, but the theatricality is a bit over the top with this one.

#2 is a little disturbing, almost looks like a found-photo, like something we weren't supposed to see. That's not necessarily a bad thing though - not all photography has to be 'pretty'.

--Illah

i disagree with illah, i think the theatricality makes these what they are. nothing wrong with being a little on the sensational side. especially if thats what you feel, the only criticism i would have is that 1 and three are a little crazy on the contrast, and i don't feel drawn enough to the subject, maybe some vignetting would help.

I like the first and third, I have to agree with newrmdmike, Play it up, it makes the photos alot more interesting. What type of film were you using? Post processing? I happened to like the contrast as well and I think that it's a great shot as is.

thanks for the replies--

Illah- I appreciate your thoughts on #2... I have some more standard portraits from that series, but chose that one because, as you said, its a little disturbing/off kilter.

I agree with the theatrical comments too.. I wanted a slightly surreal feel to it and I like the idea of shots having a more staged or constructed aspect to them... I could get into a bunch of rhetoric about it, but I'll spare you.

that mass of bark around the tree is actually a big hut I found while exploring (off trail) the forest behind campus.. I'll be going back for a reshoot again in a week or so most likely, as soon as my friend (the model) and I both have time.

The film I used was just the standard B/W film (the kind that can get processed in the color machines) you buy a Rite Aid.. which is where it was processed.. it came out a little flat, so I upped the contrast in the iPhoto thing... I still haven't attempted using Photoshop, although I'm sure it's better

but if anyone would like to mess with the contrast or anything, feel free to edit.. perhaps it will inspire me to get motivated about post-processing.

thanks again for the replies and comments, I really appreciate it.

I totally Dig 1 and 2.
The concept in 3 is cool aswell. Just to bright in certain areas. Nothing a light touch up wouldn't fix.
Good work, your friend has the a charming look to him.

I really like these. look forward to seeing more.
nice one :)

nice scans from the Noritsu !!! I used to love those scanners.....

Nice shots too..

1 has to be my favorite, but the pose looks so unnatural and the branch behind your head makes you look like a reigndeer.

Most reactions

Back