thanks for the replies--
Illah- I appreciate your thoughts on #2... I have some more standard portraits from that series, but chose that one because, as you said, its a little disturbing/off kilter.
I agree with the theatrical comments too.. I wanted a slightly surreal feel to it and I like the idea of shots having a more staged or constructed aspect to them... I could get into a bunch of rhetoric about it, but I'll spare you.
that mass of bark around the tree is actually a big hut I found while exploring (off trail) the forest behind campus.. I'll be going back for a reshoot again in a week or so most likely, as soon as my friend (the model) and I both have time.
The film I used was just the standard B/W film (the kind that can get processed in the color machines) you buy a Rite Aid.. which is where it was processed.. it came out a little flat, so I upped the contrast in the iPhoto thing... I still haven't attempted using Photoshop, although I'm sure it's better
but if anyone would like to mess with the contrast or anything, feel free to edit.. perhaps it will inspire me to get motivated about post-processing.
thanks again for the replies and comments, I really appreciate it.