A finding since I 'went gripped'

fjrabon

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so, there's a lot of talk on here about grips just being 'status symbols' (if you view a piece of equipment that attaches to a camera as a status symbol... lol). And at the very least I get a feeling that a lot of people view them as totally useless unless it's on one of the Nikon bodies that allows a couple extra FPS.

At first I was a little ambivalent. I liked the feel, but not the bulk in my bag. But the real seller was going through my pictures last night, I'm pretty sure I've gained between a half stop to a full stop in handheld shooting stability since I added the grip. Oddly enough, this was both for portrait and horizontal shots.

For portrait orientation, I think it's obvious enough as to why. Being able to hold the camera normally instead of sideways is a big help with stability. Horizontally, I think it's because it sort of allows me to cup both the bottom corners of the grip in the middle of my palms when shooting, which is much more stable, apparently (it feels like it as well). Furthermore, it allows you do do the Joe McNally grip for horizontal shots on a crop frame, which isn't really possible with a crop frame body size (or on a D600 either). THis was especially noticeable with telephoto shots. I was able to shoot tack sharp shots at 150mm on a crop frame as low as 1/70 shutter speed without VR. I was never able to go that low before. If I was really careful with my breathing, leaned against something and squeezing the shutter as opposed to pressing it, I could sometimes get down to about 1/125 SS wise at 150mm on a crop, but that was about it.

Anyway, just thought I would share that, since to me, that's been the biggest benefit of the grip. And I don't see it talked about much in terms of tangible benefits of a grip on here, outside of a sort of generalized notion of 'better balance'.

Last edited:
The grip basically acts as a mass damper and will make the camera more stable.

I wish I had one for my camera. More comfortable, double the battery life.

here is an example image (yes, I know it's just a snapshot, this is just to show my results shooting at 120mm on a crop frame at 1/60 shutter):

DSC_4261 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

relevant EXIF:

CameraNikon D7000
Exposure0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperturef/4.8
Focal Length120 mm
ISO Speed2500
Focal Length (35mm format)180 mm
LensAF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED

Here is how I hold it:

DSC_0001 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

ie the meaty portion of the bottom part of my palms sort of 'wrap around the corners' of the grip.

for me the selling point in buying one was just that, more of a grip on a smaller body, and not it just feels plain dumb awkward to shoot without it. i believe it is a must for shooting portraits and such, my only gripe when using mine on my D90 is the far reach to the D-pad to change focus points. it does help with the stability a lot. and the battery life is always a plus

I wish I had one for my camera. More comfortable, double the battery life.

A grip has the shutter actuation button in place for shooting portraiture position vs horizontal, which is the most important aspect for me and only reason one resides on my body.

I got mine because my hands don't feel comfortable on the smaller body. It just fits better.

The one thing that I have noticed since getting it, is that I seem to never have to charge batteries.

I got mine because my hands don't feel comfortable on the smaller body. It just fits better.

The one thing that I have noticed since getting it, is that I seem to never have to charge batteries.

I end up charging at about the same rate, since I charge the one battery as soon as it hits empty.

I end up charging at about the same rate, since I charge the one battery as soon as it hits empty.

Do you only have one battery? I got two with my kit which was nice, so I always had a fully charged one. But I put both in my grip and wow, it's been great. I have to remember to charge before a big event that I know I want to shoot just to make sure that I have plenty of charge but other than that, it's just whenever it's low.

Do you only have one battery? I got two with my kit which was nice, so I always had a fully charged one. But I put both in my grip and wow, it's been great. I have to remember to charge before a big event that I know I want to shoot just to make sure that I have plenty of charge but other than that, it's just whenever it's low.

I use the camera battery one as first and the in grip ones as backups. I usually charge as soon as the in camera one gives out. But from work I'm used to taking batteries out and charging them all the time anyway. I have to stop myself from charging my own batteries every time I use them.

I agree wholeheartedly that grips add real functionality to a camera. As do lens shades, tripods and flashes. I get a chuckle from the young folks who have one for their base model d3100 (example) and then their signature goes ... yada yada yada ... Gripped D3100 ... (In bold lettering no less):wink:

I use a grip on the 40D, and it definitely helps in stability. I also have a hand strap on it (which has to use the grip anyway) and to hold the camera in my right hand with the strap and grip is just really natural. I just wish the hand strap would also let me use it when in portrait mode... - I use portrait orientation and the grip shutter button, but then the hand strap is flapping about unused at the "top" of the camera.

But I would never go back to no grip...

Yep cracks me up when pros's and non-pro's diss and give the only reason people use them is to look cool/Pro. Wasn't the case for me as have arthritic hands and gripping problems. And portrait was a pain twisting my wrist in that awkward twisting. Also eliminated that forward pull feel of heavier zooms and helps balance out the whole setup.

And would be happy with just one battery and a grip that was reduced by 30% in size and bulk for a slimmer option with a D-pad on it. And surprised no one has thought of it and produced one like that and throw in a intervalometer and smaller size for tripod mounting as a plus.

But the real seller was going through my pictures last night, I'm pretty sure I've gained between a half stop to a full stop in handheld shooting stability since I added the grip. Oddly enough, this was both for portrait and horizontal shots.
Bingo!

That, and the center of mass is improved, which is why Pro grade bodies have the grip built-in.

Anyone who says it's just for status should try using a grip for a week, and then try going back.

I gripped my eos 35mm. I have big hands and I have found the camera so much better to hang on to. Plus no more expensive lithium batteries, takes 4 aa batteries now. I want one for my digital now as a hate using it after shooting with the 35mm. Feels far too small in my hands.

Most reactions

Back