A finding since I 'went gripped'

I still somewhat prefer the option to take the grip off to a full on always there style. THough obviously the built in grip is going to be more dependable.

I still somewhat prefer the option to take the grip off to a full on always there style. THough obviously the built in grip is going to be more dependable.

I much prefer an optional grip. If I want a telephoto lens, I use a telephoto lens. If I want a ND filter, I use an ND filter. If I want a grip, I use a grip.

As Bend the Light indicated, adding a hand strap makes the grip "golden" in my book. Although there are handstraps that attach to the bottom screw (no grip), they are too small for my bigger hands as I can easily reach an 11th on a piano. I also keep my hand in the strap when shooting handheld portrait mode.

For what it's worth, I also keep the neck strap attached as well. I've found a way that with my hand in the hand strap, to wrap the neck strap so the camera is literally "locked" to my hand. I couldn't shake it loose if I tried (and I have!). Back in September, I did a "walk around" shoot in downtown Chicago and the camera spent about 8 hours 'attached', except when I went to Starbucks for some coffee. The 60D with grip and 24-105L attached didn't even cause a sore shoulder on this old geezer.

Anyone who says it's just for status should try using a grip for a week, and then try going back.

I did a (paid) photoshoot with a model a while back.

I shoot with a d700, which is a respectable, pro level camera.

She still commented she was surprised to see me shooting with such a "small" camera

A grip makes your camera bigger, which in turn makes the status bigger...

I agree that a grip will make a professional look more professional, and I think that this is important for impression management; which is a perfectly valid concern.

But my point was that vertical grips do have functional purpose.

I shoot a lot in portrait mode so I love:) my grip :-D feels exactly the same when shooting landscape.

for me the selling point in buying one was just that, more of a grip on a smaller body, and not it just feels plain dumb awkward to shoot without it. i believe it is a must for shooting portraits and such, my only gripe when using mine on my D90 is the far reach to the D-pad to change focus points. it does help with the stability a lot. and the battery life is always a plus

totally agree with you an this.

my only gripe when using mine on my D90 is the far reach to the D-pad to change focus points.

Interesting. I thought all grips came with that feature but I don't really keep up with grips for other bodies.

I love my grip for all the above mentioned. There really are benefits aside from the "cool" factor. I just find it humorous when people have to emphatically state they shoot gripped or list it in their gear list.

I think there's a lot of misconceptions by the public with cameras, and one is that a "pro" has a big camera -- which actually a photog would call a grip

It's funny back when I had an olympus (which is small, as it's micro 4/3rds), I bought a 300mm lens... Which was HUGE...

A pro photog could be shooting something like a d700 with a small lens like a 50mm prime, and people would assume I was the pro :)

Bigger is better, maybe :)

.......... I just find it humorous when people........ list it in their gear list.

So what's the difference between listing a lens and listing a grip?

.......... I just find it humorous when people........ list it in their gear list.

So what's the difference between listing a lens and listing a grip?

Sparky, you're one of the nicest and helpful members on here so my post wasn't aimed at you. For me and my observation as a whole, I've noticed people on here who list a grip appear to be saying "look at me". That doesn't apply to you but for some it does.

The "pro" cameras from Canon and Nikon have built-in, integrated grips. The "half-height" cameras are useful when you do not want to look quite so "hardcore"--you just take the grip off and leave it behind when you wish to go more low-profile...

Vautrin said:

She still commented she was surprised to see me shooting with such a "small" camera

Countdown to KmH calling you out for calling the D700 a pro level instead of prosumer.

Vautrin said:

Countdown to KmH calling you out for calling the D700 a pro level instead of prosumer.

a pro is someone who gets paid for their work

youll find enough pros with d700s in their bag (or at least who have had)

just as youll find wedding photogs with d7000s

maybe its not the best camera out there but in its time it had most of the features of the big boy d3 (except size due to lack of integrated grip, also lacked double card slots) but at less cost

Most reactions

Back