A finding since I 'went gripped'

let me also point out if youre gonna draw a line on pro cameras and not pro cameras, we might as well declare anything short of a hasselblad as non pro

Sparky, you're one of the nicest and helpful members on here so my post wasn't aimed at you. For me and my observation as a whole, I've noticed people on here who list a grip appear to be saying "look at me". That doesn't apply to you but for some it does.

I didn't feel it was aimed at me at all. But I still don't see the difference between someone stating they own a grip and someone stating they own a lens, or a tripod, or any other piece of gear. Knowing what a person has for gear can help formulate a better response to their questions.

Sparky, you're one of the nicest and helpful members on here so my post wasn't aimed at you. For me and my observation as a whole, I've noticed people on here who list a grip appear to be saying "look at me". That doesn't apply to you but for some it does.

I didn't feel it was aimed at me at all. But I still don't see the difference between someone stating they own a grip and someone stating they own a lens, or a tripod, or any other piece of gear. Knowing what a person has for gear can help formulate a better response to their questions.

IE: problems with battery life, portrait orientation, balance with larger lenses...all questions where the answer can vary greatly if the camera has a grip on it or not.

after all its the photog who takes the picture not the equiptment

if i see you posted a pic i love, should i go grip up so i can shoot like that too?

im happy just knowing if you shoot nikon or are with the dark side :)

after all its the photog who takes the picture not the equiptment.......

Then sell all your gear. Lemme know how your images turn out after that.

after all its the photog who takes the picture not the equiptment.......

Then sell all your gear. Lemme know how your images turn out after that.

lol... you know what i mean

yiu need some gear to shoot

but just having a grip or a d800 or hasselblad or whatever wont make you a great photog

I like that people list their gear, because if I'm considering a lens, and I happen to notice a person whose opinions I respect has that gear, I can quietly PM them, without having to start a whole thread about it.

.......but just having a grip or a d800 or hasselblad or whatever wont make you a great photog

Well, duh!
roto2gaydude.gif
Tell me something I don't know!

Countdown to KmH calling you out for calling the D700 a pro level instead of prosumer.

a pro is someone who gets paid for their work

youll find enough pros with d700s in their bag (or at least who have had)

I had a chuckle at this. Back in August I took a lighting workshop from a well known commerical photographer. He's shot just about every celebrity and cosmetic company in existence. Books upon books of tear sheets. Anyways, what's his main camera for magazine layouts? You betcha- the D700. I had a TPF moment when he pushed aside the Hassy and pulled out the Nikon.

I like that people list their gear, because if I'm considering a lens, and I happen to notice a person whose opinions I respect has that gear, I can quietly PM them, without having to start a whole thread about it.

Yep got in the habit of even putting camera and lens used in image description. Even tho had tags designating what was used. Still got a lot of new to photography asking what camera? what lens?,etc... Even created sets by lens so makes for a quick link for others considering a particular lens may be for them.

Did cut down quite a bit of flickrmail when I started listing gear used. So do it out of habit and cut down on responding to PM's and emails,etc...

Information in signatures can be done properly and concisely or it can be overdone. Members on one of the motorcycle forums I frequent go WAAAAY overboard, and frequently their signatures (right down to the type of oil they use and the pressure they run in their tires) is longer than their posts. When it gets to the point that you have to scroll through 10 pages of posts just to get 1 page of information something is wrong.

But, to keep things on topic, I do agree with your observations on grips. I have one on both of the bodies I use and would not consider being without one again. The balance is better, holding the camera is easier and more solid, and, like you, I also noticed that I can hold steady about a half to full stop slower.

When I got my first one it was hard to justify the cost, but once I got one I was hooked. When I ordered my D7000 I ordered a grip at the same time.

Information in signatures can be done properly and concisely or it can be overdone. Members on one of the motorcycle forums I frequent go WAAAAY overboard, and frequently their signatures (right down to the type of oil they use and the pressure they run in their tires) is longer than their posts. When it gets to the point that you have to scroll through 10 pages of posts just to get 1 page of information something is wrong.

But, to keep things on topic, I do agree with your observations on grips. I have one on both of the bodies I use and would not consider being without one again. The balance is better, holding the camera is easier and more solid, and, like you, I also noticed that I can hold steady about a half to full stop slower.

When I got my first one it was hard to justify the cost, but once I got one I was hooked. When I ordered my D7000 I ordered a grip at the same time.

Yeah, I never had a problem with battery life (I'm obsessive about always having 2 spare batteries fully charged at all times), and I never thought it would make that big of a difference. Then a friend who is switching to Canon gave me a 3rd party grip and I'm pretty close to hooked now. Now I'm just deciding if it's worth the upgrade to the Nikon branded one, as every once in a while the grip has connection issues where it tells me all my batteries are dead. However I haven't had that since a few times the first day I had it on. I guess if it acts up much more again I'll just get a Nikon branded one.

I do the same and I've had a few pm sent to me regarding my gear.

I think the perception of a signature is "showing off" happens in the mind of the reader most of the time ! lol

You can also go to the poster's profile page. There is a place there for an equipment list.

Most reactions

Back