A gift for me! - Unexpected portrait of me doing what I enjoy.

CMfromIL

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to travel to San Francisco CA. While there, I spent a couple of hours walking around and taking pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge, awaiting the sunset to get a really nice shot of it lit up, and SF behind it.
While waiting, a nice couple was trying very hard to get pictures in the fading light. She didn't have a tripod, was using a kit lens, and not having much luck. On a whim, I asked them if they would like a picture of themselves with the bridge in the background. I said that I had the time, and wouldn't promise anything but thought I could get a nice one for them. The light was really fading fast. No flash (of course) as I wasn't really there for flash photography, nor did I want to drag the speedlites out.
I took it using my 16-35mm, at f/2.8 and even then the exposure was quite lengthy 1/10th sec, at iso2000.

I asked them to email me, and I had thought they had forgotten about it or lost my card. Today I got an email asking if the picture had turned out (it had). And that her husband had taken a picture of me as they were leaving. I thought it was very nice, so I thought I would share it:

Hello fellow POTN'er :p A nice Christmas present from a stranger :)

You made a really nice photo of that couple! Very solid composition and placement of them in the context of the scene behind.

Thanks Derrel. it was getting pretty dark. In post I pulled out a lot of shadows, lightened it up some. I didn't want to go over iso2000 for fear of grain (which I had some to deal with). Spur of the moment, not really looking to sell it but rather help out someone that looked like they wanted a nice shot but didn't (literally) have any way to get it. BTW, they really liked the picture so that made my evening as well.

Very nice unexpected surprises all around. You captured the couple wonderfully.

That's awesome! I wouldn't have held my breath either, but great that they actually found you.

Well, it certainly helped that I had given them my business card. :wink: But it had been so long, I thought they had forgotten about it, or lost the card.

what a nice experience

Most reactions

New Topics

Back