A Girl and Her Car

TimothyJinx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.timothymillerphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After an afternoon of shooting in my basement studio, we ventured outside to snap a few photos. She really wanted one with her car. It was pretty sunny so we had to move about a bit to get a decently exposed shot.

$IMG_4799tiny.jpg

Not bad; I think using some fill to help balance ambient (and counter the blown sky) and perhaps a polarizer to reduce some the hood & windshield reflections would have made it even stronger.

Polarizer may have helped with those reflections, yes.

I like the composition, and her pose is nice. The car looks very cool as well.

Suggestions:
Adjust aperture/DoF to keep her and the car sharp and and in focus, but blur out the woods and sky behind.
Level the horizon, or at least make the car seem level.
Color temperature seems a little on the cool side.
Maybe bump up the saturation/vibrance a little.

Have fun and keep it up!

I looked at it large...it has an almost poster-like effect to the processing,almost an old-fashioned 256-colors video game look, which I think looks excellent. The bald sky bugs me more than any reflections ever could. Her pose conveys strength and confidence. I think a confident young woman would really love this photograph.

i like the pose!

Not bad; I think using some fill to help balance ambient (and counter the blown sky) and perhaps a polarizer to reduce some the hood & windshield reflections would have made it even stronger.
tirediron, we took a few headshots outside and I did bounce some fill for those. How would I do that with a wide shot like this?

Adjust aperture/DoF to keep her and the car sharp and and in focus, but blur out the woods and sky behind.
Yep, should have done this.

I looked at it large...it has an almost poster-like effect to the processing,almost an old-fashioned 256-colors video game look, which I think looks excellent.
Exactly! I just didn't want it to look like a snapshot of a girl by her car - even though that's what it is. I wanted to give it a little more of an exotic feel or texture.

The bald sky bugs me more than any reflections ever could.
For weeks we've had the most beautiful clouds in the sky. But that day they were very sparse - just my luck. I probably blew out the sky anyway. If I hadn't been rushed I may have thought of doing an additional exposure for the sky. Live and learn!

Her pose conveys strength and confidence. I think a confident young woman would really love this photograph.
She's a sweetheart of a girl. She has fun no matter where she goes!

i like the pose!
Thanks!

I really like this shot, the colours and really complimentary and I don't even mind that the sky is 'blaugh'

This shot is boring yo. The is the best you could do? You couldnt give her some fast and furious action?

Have you tried using the graduated filter in Lightroom for the sky?

This shot is boring yo. The is the best you could do? You couldnt give her some fast and furious action?
Not my style, or hers.

Love this photo. Great pose :)
Thanks!

Have you tried using the graduated filter in Lightroom for the sky?
I use Adobe Camera Raw but they're the same thing, right? I've never used the built-in graduated filter but it sounds like a great idea - thanks!

Last edited:
I think more fill / flash on her face would have helped a lot.. she is almost coon-eyed! Don't care for the nearly blown out foreground and sky either...

It's cropped a bit to closely on the car for my tastes.

So I played with the JPEG a little. I couldn't help the sky at all, sorry. I don't think its save-able, at least with my limited knowledge. I did try a fun little edit though :roll:

$TPF-2.jpg

When in doubt, go crazy!!

Most reactions

Back