A glimpse of Indian streets as seen by me (Pic & Story Heavy - D100)

Raj_55555

Indian God of Photography
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.rajarshiphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After many requests from my fellow TPF members, and a PM from a very sweet person in particular asking me to shoot a bit more of the Indian streets, I made it a point to keep my camera with me whenever I'm traveling somewhere, and just keep clicking.
This time I tried to think what you guys may have found interesting that I might have ignored as an everyday thing, #3 is an example of that.
Oh, and I messed up the exposure in all of them by more than 1 stop (yet again), so please ignore the noise.. :(

Here are a few pics I took using the D100 en-route to my village today. Unfortunately it's raining heavily, and I don't think I'll be able to head out at all during my brief stay. I'll try my best though, but for the time being please give me your feedback. Is there anything in general that you think is uninteresting in these pics? Or anything you'd like to see? I'm all ears! :)

#1. Purohitji (The Godman)

14576794024_c271e6c2d9_h.jpg

#2. The Transporters (Banana Version)

14598664723_742b4d97e0_h.jpg

#3. A Random Street shot: Didn't really put any thoughts into this one.

14578558335_0c3e6bcd99_h.jpg

#4. Monday morning newspaper (Missed focus)

14576797534_cfb1512395_h.jpg

#5. Busy Morning!

14577802712_2b1274d416_h.jpg

The next three are a bit different, so are accompanied by a few lines:

#6. The Experiment: I was testing my timing on the camera shutter with this one. The bus (I was in) was moving really fast in the opposite direction of the rickshaw puller in a different lane. I wanted to time it just right, so I get the shot from the window. All of this happened in about four seconds time and I still missed it by half a second, but still was interesting enough for me to post.

14391891180_46eebb6f0f_o.jpg

#7. The Preacher: This gentleman came to sit by me and we started chatting. It was a funny little chat as we had absolutely nothing in common. He asked me about my family and I told him, he went on to advise me to look after my parents and specially my mother. He then showed me a few passport sized pictures of his, and complained about how badly it was taken. I learned a little about his religion, and suddenly my bus honked, signalling it's departure and I had to run. I asked him if I can take his picture, and he agreed. This is what I got in the 10 seconds I had.. It was a memorable chat!

14598667403_5e0254fb92_h.jpg

#8. The Jolly-Army man: This one was taken at least a couple of years back in Sikkim, back then I couldn't tell shutter speed from ISO, and everything was on auto.. And you can tell from the picture, that I really loved over-saturated pictures :p
Earlier I scrapped it as the army mans face wasn't visible at all, but LR helped me out now that I know how to use it.

Anyways, these folks were from the Indian Army waving at me and my camera. Luckily I got the shot :D

14391864580_9d996ff5c0_h.jpg

Nice work. You show the most interesting aspects of India in these photos.

To you, it's ordinary life. To us (well, me, in any case), it's an exotic and interesting place. So many people, so much history!

I was fortunate to visit India once (mid-1990-ies) for about two weeks doing some project management, and during our time off work, my hosts took me to many places and were quite proud to show me the areas around New Delhi. For someone coming outside the country, everything is interesting. My impression was of wall-to-wall people, a riot of colours, sounds and smells. Your images bring back some of those memories - thank you.

hey!

Can I consider this as the first in many series of your stories and photographing the places you live in? ;)

C'mon, you're our eyes and ears in India and I think we deserve to know a bit about the country...

As for the photographs, you did well, but it shows that you're a bit uncomfortable and don't know really what to do... and I expect to see some major improvements soon... in the sequel? :)

- really nice colors and patterns are all around you, maybe you don't notice them that much, but start paying attention to them
- #1 and #7 stand out for me
- #2 interesting subject but give us more of the scene
- you couldn't do this without animals, could you!? ;)
- and, in general, I want to see ... let's say... an interesting rickshaw with the driver, so when you see him, take a photo or two
- and, in general, I want to see ... let's say... pretty much everything else

Last edited:
I think you seem to be on the right track, keep doing what you're doing and practicing. Sometimes too you could just look thru your viewfinder and watch - think about if what you see could make for an interesting photograph.

Over time I got so I often frame shots with both eyes open - but I have the exposure determined (or have adjusted camera settings as needed) and am focused on something where I anticipate something would happen (a line on the pavement, or a pole, etc.). Then I use my peripheral vision to see who/what is coming into view and watch and wait til people and events converge and there's a good moment to capture - then adjust focus as needed and take a picture.

But the way I take pictures may not work for you or for anyone else - I think it's a matter of practicing and figuring out what works for you. A lot of it is the timing, and anticipating and being ready for whatever might happen next. I like to just people watch sometimes, with the camera or I just give my eye a break from the viewfinder and notice the background, move around and try a different vantage point, etc.

(edit - With #6 that might have worked framed horizontally and a little lower to get all of the person to the left so to not be cut off in the middle - might have been good keeping the foliage in the foreground framing the shot but not necessarily so much space above them. Nice for shooting out a bus window! I do that from the car - not when I'm driving!)

To you, it's ordinary life. To us (well, me, in any case), it's an exotic and interesting place. So many people, so much history!

QUOTE]

This. These are really good Raj. Thanks for sharing a little part of your life.

Nice work. You show the most interesting aspects of India in these photos.
Thanks AC :) And just so you know, I really like your street photography.

I was fortunate to visit India once (mid-1990-ies) for about two weeks doing some project management, and during our time off work, my hosts took me to many places and were quite proud to show me the areas around New Delhi. For someone coming outside the country, everything is interesting. My impression was of wall-to-wall people, a riot of colours, sounds and smells. Your images bring back some of those memories - thank you.
:) Thanks paul, what's funny is that I always wanted to go outside india for a photographic experience, never realizing how many people actually visit this country for the same. I guess we don't realize the value of what we have until we know how much others value it.
If you visited in the mid 90's though, you'll be surprised by the things that have changed in the last decade. Also if you'd visit different states (say West bengal/Rajasthan), you'd feel like you've travelled into a whole new country. The diversity is amazing.

very nice.
glad to see your camera getting some use!
It got a lot more the following day :D, I just couldn't find enough time to reply back. These new pics were pretty good, I think you'll like them. :)

hey!
Can I consider this as the first in many series of your stories and photographing the places you live in? ;)
Absolutely, I have some even better stories to tell this time.. :) Thank you so much for the detailed response, they really help.
hey!
C'mon, you're our eyes and ears in India and I think we deserve to know a bit about the country...

As for the photographs, you did well, but it shows that you're a bit uncomfortable and don't know really what to do... and I expect to see some major improvements soon... in the sequel? :)
:lol: Absolutely, I think I'll create a new flickr a/c for my street stuff.. I've seen danny do something similar for him non-kingfisher stuff :p
And yes you're spot on about me being uncomfortable, I focus more on not gettin caught while photographing than on photography itself. I prefer not to be caught in the act, not sure why! I was a bit more free the next day, hopefully it'll show in the pictures..

Thanks for the detailed response :)

Over time I got so I often frame shots with both eyes open - but I have the exposure determined (or have adjusted camera settings as needed) and am focused on something where I anticipate something would happen (a line on the pavement, or a pole, etc.). Then I use my peripheral vision to see who/what is coming into view and watch and wait til people and events converge and there's a good moment to capture - then adjust focus as needed and take a picture.
I may not be as good at it yet, but I actually do the same thing. I only ever look through the viewfinder when I know what I want to take, and where it will be. What I lack is the realtime framing mindset in the people shots. I seem to do be doing at least some what decent job with the animal shots, I just need to use that skill in the street shots that I take. Thanks for sharing your views Sharon :)

This. These are really good Raj. Thanks for sharing a little part of your life.
Thanks & you're most welcome Sharon.. And stay tuned for the next episode of "A little part of my life" next week right here ;) :p

Sorry for the delayed response everyone. Luckily the rain dried up and gave me a few hours to go out and shoot. I went out with my camera, and for the first time ever, animals were not the subjects of my interest :p. At the end of it all, I was really very pleased with the results I got, I think you guys will love it. I can honestly say I am starting to love street photography now :).
Unfortunately though, I won't have any time for editing the pictures (very busy week) so you guys will have to wait till next weekend. But I'll compensate it with some really good pictures (by my standards) :mrgreen:, and some good stories as appetizers with them ;).

India is a street photographer's paradise, no doubt about it. Lots of people, lots of colours, lots of light, lots of chaos. All you need is just to organise it in a good composition. My advice - try to shoot more horizontals. Streets are horizontal things :)
Do not be too much obsessed with cutting off anything "that is not related to the subject". A street has different aesthetics and a different way of story telling compared to a portrait or a documentary.

Treat it as a story about people and their relations with the world they have created. Some "purists" will say - look, these two guys or these dogs, or these bikes have no relation to the main subject , cut them off! But it is more complicated than that. A chaos of a street, organised in a coherent, appealing or even striking composition is the pinnacle of a great street shooting and demands a lot of vision and skill. I want to move in that direction myself, but I am far, far away from it. It needs A LOT OF TIME and effort. I am afraid, I just do not have this luxury. But you have at least one great advantage - an INDIAN street :)

Have a good, close look at Alex Webb street portfolio - he is a true Master of street color and amazing compositions.

I do not know about the others, but when I look at your vertical shots I like the people shown, these are decent street portraits, but I want to see what surrounds them to get a real feeling of a street in your part of the world, to feel the heat and to smell it. When you learn how to do it, you will be on the money, my friend :)

Last edited:
What he said ^^^ .:wink: Honestly I like your commentary and the photo that came with it. Very interesting...btw,have you been promoted yet? Or are you still apprenticing to be promoted?

My advice - try to shoot more horizontals. Streets are horizontal things :) Do not be too much obsessed with cutting off anything "that is not related to the subject". A street has different aesthetics and a different way of story telling compared to a portrait or a documentary.

Treat it as a story about people and their relations with the world they have created. Some "purists" will say - look, these two guys or these dogs, or these bikes have no relation to the main subject , cut them off! But it is more complicated than that. A chaos of a street, organised in a coherent, appealing or even striking composition is the pinnacle of a great street shooting and demands a lot of vision and skill.

I might just be a culprit of that crime myself.. I tend to get more portraits than street actions, but I've also noticed that I'm starting to improve. I'll definitely try more horizontals next time I'm out shooting. Thanks a lot for your tips Sashbar. And also thanks for Alex Webb's name, I have bookmarked his web site, and I'm sure I'll learn a lot.:)

What he said ^^^ .:wink: Honestly I like your commentary and the photo that came with it. Very interesting...btw,have you been promoted yet? Or are you still apprenticing to be promoted?
Thanks Izzi :mrgreen:. No unfortunately I'll have to wait till September ends, but it's almost a done deal (unless I screw up real bad), just that the work pressure has gone up considerably :(
Not really apprenticing though, I've been doing the job my seniors were supposed to do for the last 3 years.. :lol:

Fantastic! I can't wait to get back to India.
Thanks, and do let me know if you visit Kolkata, if you get the time! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back