A good camera for basic sports photography

bigheadkyle2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to get into sports photography and wondering which camera I should look at getting. I'm sure I could just buy a D3 and call it a day but I am looking for something not quite as expensive. Any good tips on a good setup between 1 or 2 grand. I have read that the D300s is a good one and its around 2 grand but then I'd need a lens so any tips on a good lens setup too. If this doesn't make any sense to you(which wouldn't surprise me since I have trouble making sense of it myself) then just tell me what camera and lens setups would be good alternatives for photographing sports outside of just getting the top notch stuff.

Here's the best I could come up with for just a hair over $2k

Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 AF-S VR = $1300 used
Nikon D300 with grip = $800 used (the grip makes a d300 shoot quicker).

If you buy used on ebay you are protected from someone selling you broken equipment

If you want to save even more $$ you could opt for a Nikon 80-200mm F2.8 AF-S which is only around $900 used--you just won't have VR, which may not be a big deal with the high shutter speeds used with sports to freeze action.

These options will give you a professional level setup.

Sports photography is one of the most demanding forms of photography not only on the photographer but on the equipment. Bodies need to have good/outstanding high ISO performance, fast accurate focusing, and a good range of metering modes. A decent burst rate can be helpful as well as a high number of focusing points to choose from. Glass needs to be fast (for indoor and under the lights events) very sharp and fast focusing. With that in mind, you need to one, decide on what sport(s) you want to start shooting and two, set you budget. From there you can research the bodies and lens combinations that will meet your needs and budget. Also, plan for the future. There are only a couple of lenses that come close to being must haves when getting into sports shooting. A 70-200 f2.8 and an 85mm f1.8. If you are only shooting daytime field sports then the 70-200 f2.8 can be replaced with something that is sharp but not as fast and you can leave out the 85mm. If you are looking at nighttime sports the 70-200 is a lens to have. For indoor sports the 85mm is a good choice as it is a good fast indoor venue lens.

Your choice of sports will dictate your choice of glass as will where you can shoot from. Field sports generally call for longer glass than court sports. I am always on the sidelines or base lines of the field/court so my glass choices reflect that range. Most of my glass is L glass with a few exceptions where the equivalent L lens is not suitable and one particular 3rd party lens that gives me the speed I need in an ultra wide angle on my 3rd body.

As mentionned, the type of sports and field access will determine your lens selection.
Alot of sport shooters like to have the crop factor of APS cameras vs the full frame, hence why the Canon 1D is a 1.3x crop

So for Canon, the 7D is great
For Nikon, I guess the D300 or D7000 are good for budget sports.

What is more important is your lens. You want a lens that opens up wide to allow for a faster shutter. f/2.8 zoom lenses are some of the most expensive lenses, but they are so worth it for sports.
New:
Canon 7D = 1499 (with current $200 rebate)
Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS MKII = 2399 (with current $200 rebate). You can probably pick up the Mk I for $1800.

My gear works for me so far, although I would like to get the AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Lens . Yeah right...

What kind of sports are you planning to shoot?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies. The lens was the biggest issue I was having since there are so many numbers and things. I had read that the D300 was a good choice so I was pretty firm on that decision but it was the lens I didn't really know about.

Well I had planned on shooting basketball and around here is mostly little small school so access isn't going to be a huge deal. At could sit at the top row of my high school gym and be about 20 feet away from the court. This is mainly just to get my feet wet. I want to eventually start shooting football and pretty much anything else but I know those will require the really big lenses that are a fortune. Could some of your guys lens suggestions work with football or baseball as long as it is relatively close? Like a batter from the dugout or a football play coming at you.

Also if you guys know of any articles that can explain all the info in a lens in simple enough terms to understand them but detailed enough to have a nice hold on what they do I would be really thankful for those.

Thanks everyone for the replies. The lens was the biggest issue I was having since there are so many numbers and things. I had read that the D300 was a good choice so I was pretty firm on that decision but it was the lens I didn't really know about.

Well I had planned on shooting basketball and around here is mostly little small school so access isn't going to be a huge deal. At could sit at the top row of my high school gym and be about 20 feet away from the court. This is mainly just to get my feet wet. I want to eventually start shooting football and pretty much anything else but I know those will require the really big lenses that are a fortune. Could some of your guys lens suggestions work with football or baseball as long as it is relatively close? Like a batter from the dugout or a football play coming at you.

Also if you guys know of any articles that can explain all the info in a lens in simple enough terms to understand them but detailed enough to have a nice hold on what they do I would be really thankful for those.

Well my lens choices for field events such as football, soccer, baseball, track and field and cross country are as follows.

70-200 f2.8 always on my second body. 300mm f2.8 or 400mm f2.8 on my primary body and usually my 24-70 f2.8 for sideline candid shots of coaches and players on my third body.

If you are starting with basketball I would suggest the 85mm f1.8 and maybe a 50mm or 35mm if you can get court side. Basketball is best shot below waistline level of the players. That means sitting on the floor court side. Baseline is the best area. For far court something like a 135 or 200mm is good if you can find one at a good price.

If you are baseline/court side remember that nothing should distract you while shooting. You need to keep alert to the action and stay the H@%% out of the way of the players if they should come your direction.

Seconding an 85 f/1.8 for basketball. Great for low light and a good length for that sized court.
Any of the field sports typically start with 300 f/2.8 and go from there... 70-200 f/2.8 is a versatile lens to have in most peoples setups, almost regardless of what they shoot.
No real knowledge of higher end nikon bodies or any strong familiarities with their glass so can't help you too much there. If you are looking to keep in under 2k you are likely going to need to by used to get the performance you desire... that being said if an 85 f/1.8 will do it for you that will leave a lot more leway in body cost and you could come out with a start to saving towards a 70-200 or a 300

Glass has been covered (I second the 85 1.8 and the 80-200 2.8) but I will add that OS or VR or IS or whatever you want to call it is useless in sports. You should be shooting at high enough shutter and/or using a monopod for longer lenses both of which negate stabilization.

As for bodies in that price range, the D300s has the edge in framerate, the D7000 has the edge in high ISO performance. If you are shooting in very well lit enviroments indoors, or outdoors during the day, the D300s is great. If you are shooting outdoors at night or in poorly lit gyms, the D7000 is great. As with anything, it depends on what you need the most. When making this choice several months ago, I went with the D7000 and have been very happy so far.

Allan

Most reactions

New Topics

Back