What's new

A lady dancing in the sun

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Sep 28, 2011
Messages
832
Reaction score
378
Location
Los Angeles
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A lady dancing in the sun.......my take on the Transit of Venus.


DSC_1053.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr


Taken in the the hills near Oakhurst, Ca....on my way to Yosemite.
 
Thanks.....I was so mad at myself for not shooting the eclipse....couldn't miss this one.
 
I think you have a major dust particle on the sensor, there is a big dot infront of the sun!
 
Love the title.
 
How do you shoot the sun directly and get this result? High s/s and/or small f/stop?
 
How do you shoot the sun directly and get this result? High s/s and/or small f/stop?

D90 with 70-300 lens at 300.

ISO 200 (low as you can get).

Lots of black glass. I stacked a 9 stop ND on a 3 stop ND on a polarizer for a total of 13 stops on neutral density filters.

Still needed a super fast shutter speed to be able to see venus. I used 1/4000 second with f11.
 
Nice shot, Desi! Very nicely done... that is a difficult subject, and I love how you framed this! :)
 
Probably the most interesting of the 1,398,771 transit-of-Venus images I've seen this century. Of course, the foreground is what makes it different.

While I agree with Charlie about the crop, I took the liberty of editing the image to suggest an ever tighter one.

$7165429701_85e06dea84_b.webp
 
Very nice!

Thanks tirediron.

Nice shot, Desi! Very nicely done... that is a difficult subject, and I love how you framed this! :)

Thanks Charlie......I appreciate the guidance you and pgriz have given with your replies to my posts and to the posts of others. It really helped me imagine this shot.

Probably the most interesting of the 1,398,771 transit-of-Venus images I've seen this century. Of course, the foreground is what makes it different.

While I agree with Charlie about the crop, I took the liberty of editing the image to suggest an ever tighter one.

View attachment 11015

Thanks Invisible.....Thanks for the suggestion on the crop. I think yours works better.

I drove around for quite a bit looking for the right foreground in the Sun's path.



I was headed to Yosemite for a hike up Half Dome the next day. But on my way into the park the next morning, I took a turn a bit too hot (for my cup holders anyway) and dumped an entire steaming hot venti cup of coffee on my camera......took hours to dry out and start working again.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom