A little bit of attitude....

*~*AshleyRenae*~*

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Shots I took today. Ok I know the last is a little dark, but I kinda like it that way, haha! CC Welcome....

105_1388.jpg

105_1395.jpg

105_1397.jpg

105_1402.jpg

105_1374.jpg

It seems like they're all a bit soft in the eyes. You can especially tell on the third one as you can see how sharp your arms are versus your eyes. In portraiture, the eyes are meant to be the sharpest part of the image, or at least that's how I've learned. I mean, the focus besides, as you mentioned, a few are a bit dark. The third one is my favorite, but watch the lighting as you can shadows on your arms that give the impression of underarm fat. And also on three, watch the creases on your body, like on your stomach. It's hard as hell to keep all this stuff in mind when you shoot, until you've shot enough where it all comes natural. So just keep working on it and your work will get better and better and better. And I'll keep poppin' in and droppin' my $.02. Overall though, good series.

It seems like they're all a bit soft in the eyes. You can especially tell on the third one as you can see how sharp your arms are versus your eyes. In portraiture, the eyes are meant to be the sharpest part of the image, or at least that's how I've learned. I mean, the focus besides, as you mentioned, a few are a bit dark. The third one is my favorite, but watch the lighting as you can shadows on your arms that give the impression of underarm fat. And also on three, watch the creases on your body, like on your stomach. It's hard as hell to keep all this stuff in mind when you shoot, until you've shot enough where it all comes natural. So just keep working on it and your work will get better and better and better. And I'll keep poppin' in and droppin' my $.02. Overall though, good series.

Wow thanks, lol! Yeah I just couldn't get the focus right on the eyes. It seems I'd have to stand completely still not even shake, lol!
All in All thank you so much! :D

I'm just curious, what was your f/stop on these and what are you using for lighting?

Haha not that good yet, as you can see. F/stop? For light it was all dark and I turned the bathroom light on in the hall, then the flash. I dunno I kinda like the darker look for these kinds of photos, gives a glow to the skin I think. :mrgreen:

F/stop, like, your aperture? Hmm, what are you using for a camera? Aperture is what controls depth of field (how much of the shot is in focus or out of focus) and how much light gets let through the lens. When I shoot self-portraits, I set something up for where I'd be standing, focus in on the area that I think will be most equivalent to my eyes (I usually use a hockey stick for this) and then I just throw on self-timer, and shoot away. I usually shoot at f/11 or f/13, so most of the time the shot is sharp.

F/stop, like, your aperture? Hmm, what are you using for a camera? Aperture is what controls depth of field (how much of the shot is in focus or out of focus) and how much light gets let through the lens. When I shoot self-portraits, I set something up for where I'd be standing, focus in on the area that I think will be most equivalent to my eyes (I usually use a hockey stick for this) and then I just throw on self-timer, and shoot away. I usually shoot at f/11 or f/13, so most of the time the shot is sharp.

Oh wow, yeah I haven't learned too much just yet. I am going to school next year though to make a profession outta it.
I have a Kodak ES Z812 IS for now, and I had it on auto focus.

Well, find out how to control the aperture on that and just stop it down to keep things sharp. I'm not familiar with that camera though, so I have no idea what I'm talking about at the moment. But I'm gonna keep talking like I know what I'm talking about so that the entire two or three people that have great respect for me on this forum will still respect me if they ever see this post. HAHA. I wish I could be more help. Just try and figure out the whole aperture business and see what comes of it, eh? If I remember, I'll try and do some examples of aperture for you in the coming days. But I won't remember, so like, PM me or something, and I can get you some more information and I can show you some differences in like, what aperture does with focusing and whatnot. I'll do portraits though, so like, it's easier applied. I used 'like' far too much in this post. Wow, this post is really f***ing disorganized, HAHA.

Well, find out how to control the aperture on that and just stop it down to keep things sharp. I'm not familiar with that camera though, so I have no idea what I'm talking about at the moment. But I'm gonna keep talking like I know what I'm talking about so that the entire two or three people that have great respect for me on this forum will still respect me if they ever see this post. HAHA. I wish I could be more help. Just try and figure out the whole aperture business and see what comes of it, eh? If I remember, I'll try and do some examples of aperture for you in the coming days. But I won't remember, so like, PM me or something, and I can get you some more information and I can show you some differences in like, what aperture does with focusing and whatnot. I'll do portraits though, so like, it's easier applied. I used 'like' far too much in this post. Wow, this post is really f***ing disorganized, HAHA.

Hahaha, oh my well I will read up in the book and see if I can figure that out. Hopefully I'll figure it out. If not then I will definatly pm you and see. Thank you so much for your help though it's greatly appreciated. :D

pretty nice picture. you single? lol

You are obviously very easy on the eyes, but I don't think these do you justice. At all. And because you are trying to turn it into a job, I feel I can be a bit harsher.

Agreed with Trenton on the sharpness. That IMHO is essential for a good portrait.
The background is really random. I know, you have to work with what you've got, but it's a big part of your pic.
Try not to cut of your hands (in #1 and #2. again, I know it's a selfportrait so you are on your own, but reshoot it if need be)
You have to experiment with light. See how your tummy in #1 looks a bit weird? That's pose but also light.
#4 looks like a head on flash. To me, that's a big no no (in general) in portraits.

Just trying to give you a few pointers, so you have a little advantage before starting school.

keep shooting and posting

pascal

You are obviously very easy on the eyes, but I don't think these do you justice. At all. And because you are trying to turn it into a job, I feel I can be a bit harsher.

Agreed with Trenton on the sharpness. That IMHO is essential for a good portrait.
The background is really random. I know, you have to work with what you've got, but it's a big part of your pic.
Try not to cut of your hands (in #1 and #2. again, I know it's a selfportrait so you are on your own, but reshoot it if need be)
You have to experiment with light. See how your tummy in #1 looks a bit weird? That's pose but also light.
#4 looks like a head on flash. To me, that's a big no no (in general) in portraits.

Just trying to give you a few pointers, so you have a little advantage before starting school.

keep shooting and posting

pascal

Awesome thank you! I'm gonna try these again and see what I can get with it. First I'm gonna try the focus though, then work my way up. heh! Thanks again though great pointers. :D

Consider yourself lucky that you are getting these pointers now BEFORE you go to school. I wish I had found this place before I went to school.

Consider yourself lucky that you are getting these pointers now BEFORE you go to school. I wish I had found this place before I went to school.

Oh yeah that's why I waited. I wanted to learn a bit more before I just went. They had classes starting in January.

Most reactions

Back