A little cc for me?

JasonLambert

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my girl Erma. She doesn't mind getting her picture taken so she makes a better model than my wife and kids. I am just having fun with this for now and would like to get a little cc. Thanks all!

erma.jpg

Erma looks like when she's standing up she's a really BIG dog! Wow. And just look at that freckled nose!

However, in the light you had (a regular ceiling light, I should guess), her eyes, albeit in focus, which is good, look all black and dull. Not a shred of light in them, all black.

If you don't want to harrass her with your camera flash (which I do understand), you might want to place something like a desk lamp onto the floor next to you, some light that won't blind her, that she'll tolerate, but an additional light to get a sparkle in her eyes. Those are my immediate thoughts on this.

Other than that the crack between wall and door case is quite distracting, so once she settles somewhere where the background is less distracting ... !?!

Your dog is soooo cute. I love how she just lays there for you. HAHA I wish my dogs would do that. I love how her pawls are laying, it leads you right to her face.

Like stated above I wish there was more light in her eyes. You can see the white in her eyes a little bit, but I would like to see that a little more. The crack on the wall did not distract me until I read LaFoto post.

Thank you for sharing!!!

I like how the paws, being so close, lead your eyes right to her head. I do agree with LaFoto, and i think that you should add a light next to you so her eyes sparkle a little more.

Jason
My only other question is:

Is she as easy to walk as she is to photograph? :mrgreen:

What's throwing me off is the old nestalgic look of the white door (or wall) and the new modern look of the wood flooring. For me, its a compositional clash of theme.

Thank you everyone for posting. I agree with all of your comments. The lighting is off, the door and the floor, the crack.... well i kinda like the crack if it were a different look for the floor. I'll have to set it up again and see if I can get better results. I built a makeshift light box today so ill want to give it a try anyway! lol

About Erma, she's a Great Dane and still a puppy at 8 months old. She was 145 pounds at the vet last week. She does do well on and off leash right up until the time she sees a squirrel and then were off to the races. By the way... She's the small one. We have Max who is a week younger than her and he is about 10 pounds heavier.

Thanks again everyone!

Awww! She is so cute! I LOVE great danes! good job I like it!

I love the composition and DOF on this.

Do you have a speedlight? If so, I would bounce it off the ceiling or door on the left to lighten the eyes and get a catch light (small white spot) in them. This was kind of mentioned already.

Really like the pose and angle :)

I love the composition and DOF on this.

Do you have a speedlight? If so, I would bounce it off the ceiling or door on the left to lighten the eyes and get a catch light (small white spot) in them. This was kind of mentioned already.

Really like the pose and angle :)

Thanks Tim, I will be sure to try that next time. I wish that I could set up the same shot at the same location but we were living in that apartment just for the time it took between selling our old house and buying the new one (fun moving for less than three months and then moving again).

How about a bit of b&w? Here is my attempt at an edit (hope you don't mind!).

I just took the photo, converted to b&w mostly using the green channel, adjusted the levels, played around with the mid-range contrast and pulled back the blacks a little. I do like my b&w photos though, so maybe I am biast!

Out of interest, do you take her for a walk or does she take you for a walk :lol:

Untitled-2.jpg

Thanks James, I have done many things to this photo including changing her spots different colors. I like the B&W BTW!

She is a very good dog on walks. Good stern training reinforced with a lot of love and praise starting young makes for a good dog... Unless your Max, my male Dane, he is a dunce!

Most reactions

Back