a little help with a telephoto plase!

so i want to spend max 250 euros on the lens cause i want to buy a sb-600 too. i know the non-vr version has plastic mount but that doesn't apply to the vr bersion. i don't know about the 50-150 sigma. from what i've seen it has a price tag of about 400 euros :( so its still above my budget and i have already sacrificed the 300mm of the tamron in favor of the vr on the 200mm nikon, i dont wanna go lower :) i mean in terms of focal lenght.

@MyNameIsChris semi-loud focus but also very slow and bumpy in some situations, it shakes, or at least that was the case with the one i played with

Look at this way, super zooms with a huge range between min and max focal lengths generally have a softness to them in comparison with zooms with less range between the focal lengths. That's usally because of the amount of glass and the quality that they have to use based on the budget that they're producing the lenses at.

If you're looking for range and don't care about IQ, then have at it. You could probably find a prime in your price range at a desired focal length and it will be 10x's sharper than any of those lenses you're looking at.

Perhaps I got lucky with mine, because it focuses decently fast but yes it does shake because it is not an IS lens.

Honestly when I bought it I had no clue what was going on. It's a cheap lens, but I have been content with it :)

Well I make up for the 150mm ceiling by putting on a 2X teleconverter ... can get good 300mm shots (at f5.6) but certainly not as sharp or fast as my 100-300 f4. It's also no where near as heavy a lens and can be reasonably handheld more than the 100-300. The 50-150 with the 1.4X TC works very well at 210mm.

MyNameIsChris: when i said its bumpy i didn't refer that is hard to obtain steady shots, i meant the lens itself shakes in your hands when its close to focus.
You all make valid arguments and this complicates things even further for me :lol:. i'll just have to take all things into consideration... i might go with a prime as Village suggested but i don't know right now.

Most reactions

Back