A Local Actor Requested a Couple Headshots

AgentDrex

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A client of the organization I work for is also a local actor looking to expand a little and requested a couple headshots for a portfolio he's putting together. Considering I don't have much practice with portraits as my friends tend to duck away when I bust out the camera, I thought these turned out semi-alright. Not professional by any means but you get what you pay for. Not like if he had paid me something that they would have turned out better but they are what they are. And here they are:

#1 - Commercial Headshot
6946266503_900a445001_b.jpg

#2 - Theatrical Headshot
6946259225_1e32287a81_b.jpg

I really need to get some lighting. These photos were taken in the office conference room with a black fabric backdrop hung from some drop-ceiling panels so that I could use the ceiling light as a hair light. Window right provided main light with my neewer brand 5-1 reflector providing fill from the left using the silver side (I noticed that the reflector seems to be bouncing some green unto the subject due to the florescent light). I really, really need more practice. But I do believe I am on the right track. Or am I wrong?

Next time I'll make sure they don't wear really bright clothing....

Nice, but you're right, some lighting will help you. He looks slightly orange (unless its my monitor), WB changes may help with that and the florescent issue going on. If you shot a raw a slight tweak higher exposure may help the lighting situation too.

I haven't put any money into lighting because it seems a waste if I never get to practice anyway. Its like paying for internet access at home while you're away working overseas. Just no point. On the other hand, having the equipment available means I would be able to practice properly when and if the chance offers itself up. Most of my portrait photos turn out orange-ish. Perhaps I should invest in a color-balance card instead of my technique of setting the wb using something white. Its screwing with the camera.

Another bot, great. "I am for the very glad of you to reading of this, good days." See? I can use bad grammar as well.

I used my 75-150mm f/3.5 e-series nikkor lens on the 1000d (irony is funny).

Mixing of different type of light source maybe an issue.

How about forget the office lights and just use the windows light with reflector?

I thought about that as well Dao. But I was already at the lowest shutter speed possible (1/25th) for the ISO (400) and Aperture (all the way open) that I could use as was. Its not all that bright in the conference room.

Then use more light and close all the shutter. Just dont MIX the lighting. You used light from the window, the ceiling (probably fluorescent). You are mixing these 2! Just pick one! Close the blind and use the ceiling light. If that is not bright enough then turn off the ceiling light as well and bring several lamps.

I think your camera is a bit low. He is also in a somewhat feminine pose with his head tilted towards his high shoulder.

Check this post from the "rules of good portraiture" thread".

Notice how much, just a head tilt, can make a difference.
The Rules Of Good Portraiture

I might have turned him the other direction, with a more masculine head tilt. You can then postion him so the window light is giving you a "short lighting" look and use your reflector as fill on the far side or as a hair light to get rid of the flourescent hair light.

Here is a quick link to using window light.

Digital Photography Tips - Making The Most Of Your Lighting

Portrait lighting cheat sheet. Just use the sun as a strobe, without the speed of a strobe of course.

Portrait Lighting Cheat Sheet Card | DIYPhotography.net

Here's another one of Benji's links.

Benji's Studio Lighting and Posing Tutorial

Another portrait link. The 5 basic setups.

Portrait Lighting - Portriat lighting set-ups

Then use more light and close all the shutter. Just dont MIX the lighting. You used light from the window, the ceiling (probably fluorescent). You are mixing these 2! Just pick one! Close the blind and use the ceiling light. If that is not bright enough then turn off the ceiling light as well and bring several lamps.

You could also use a grey card to do a custom white balance of the mixed light.

Question to make sure I am sane, is he wearing a white shirt, or a yellow shirt? At home it looked white, here at work it is yellow, one of these monitors is just a little off.

No... the light is not mixed evenly. Ceiling light from top, window from side. You cant do that. Whatever WB you use, it will look funny.

No... the light is not mixed evenly. Ceiling light from top, window from side. You cant do that. Whatever WB you use, it will look funny.

Yes you can. By making sure the grey card is hit by all the different types of light sources at the same time. You can either do an in camera custom white balance or use the exposure of the grey card in post to set the white balance.

It would be about how you position your grey card.

Taking out the cieling flourescent would be the best choice for me though. Just giving options and ideas.

You are very unprepared for this assignment. Use this as a learning experience. Go and get a flash if you want to get paid for portraits. There will be more times when you will need it in the future. Get a real portrait lens and not one you have to use an adaptor for. There are white balance issues as I expected. This seems to be your calling card. The yellow photo guy. Here is hurting the pic. He is way to yellow which is made worse due to his skin tone and the yellow shirt he is wearing. listen to schwetty and control your light source. This will allow you to be able to correct things better in post if you dont have so many different types mixing and giving off different tints. Also the framing is a bit off. Center him better. You have a inch of dead space of the left.You really need to take this seriously. This could get this guy work. It could actually effect his life in positive or negative way. he needs a reshoot. Watch the sheen coming off his forehead. he may need some make up to reduce the glare or change the lighting direction.

Jake.. trust me.... I think you are mistaken about custom WB. Custom WB is jut 2 slider adjustment on LR. If you shoot RAW, you can fix it later. It is almost impossible to get the right temperature on mixed temperature lighting. Your best bet is Black and White.

Yes you can. By making sure the grey card is hit by all the different types of light sources at the same time. You can either do an in camera custom white balance or use the exposure of the grey card in post to set the white balance.

It would be about how you position your grey card.

Taking out the cieling flourescent would be the best choice for me though. Just giving options and ideas.

I agree with Schwetty. I still not sure how a custom white balance will work in mix light situation.

Most reactions

Back