A Newbie in need - gear for long-term Timelapses

WhyNotVideos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
Im quite new to the photography world, but I'd like to be a little less new. Hope you guys can help me with some info!
Couple of months ago I decided to start a youtube channel. I did some research and found out I want a DSLR that can shoot 60fps videos. I found a slightly used Olympus SP-100ee on a budget. It's all great, it doest the job very well and I'm happy with it.
I decided to start a second youtube channel!
This time I'd like to make 14-30 days timelapses. It will all be indoors, so I'm not worried about weather conditions. I tried working with what I have, but it's just not made for it. My Olympus can take a maximum of 99 shots before I have to set it for another 99 shots, which for a 30 day long timelapse is a bit dull, if not impossible.
Intervalometer - yeah, a good solution, but nowhere to plug it in? My camera has only two ports - a mini USB to charge and move data from the SD card to PC.
Another problem is the power supply. No battery can hold up to 30 days of shooting, so again, I did some research. Apparantly, there is no battery dummy for my camera... I'd have to make one my own. Which I would, if it wasnt for the other problems I have with it, but I guess its pointless now.

Now, to my question. Since you all know what I want to do with a camera, what should I look for? Canon, Nikon? I dont want to spend a fortune, since im not after some ultra high quality shots.

I did some research, but it seems like too much info for my head.
Basically I need something, that
- can work with intervalometer
- has battery dummy or any other way to keep it alive for a month
- can be locked in manual mode, because mine keeps adusting itself when doing time-lapse shots and cannot do timelapse when in manual mode. I saw some tutorials on time-lapsing, and pretty much everybody locks it and sets it to shoot RAW. No such thing on my camera-thingy...
- not cost a fortune. Im perfectly good with older models, I dont need the latest one out there. I just need it to do the job, timelapse is the only job it will ever be used for.

Thanks in advance!

My old Nikon D200 has a built-in Intervalometer. You can have it shoot up to 999 intervals (it can also take up to 9 multiple shots at each interval). If you took a shot each hour then the 999 shots would be 41 days. You will want to use the external power connection for this length of time. An older camera like this will run you under $300 with a lens. Add a decent size memory card (you get a bit over 900 Raw shots on a 16gb CF card from this camera).

There are also some Timers that give infinity number of shots, check Neewer or Aputure brands. These units have different models that are specific to the type of camera connector.

If the number of shots you plan to take is very large then I would look to a camera with an electronic shutter and not a DSLR. Most of the DSLR bodies have shutters that are rated in the 100,000 to 200,000 range and a used camera will often fall in the 10,000 to 30,000 range.

Indoors I would probably connect to a computer and have the pictures uploaded real-time so I could check that things were working (you don't want to go back a month later and find something happened and the camera shut down).

Thank you for your reply! It's very helpful!

Any suggestions on a camera with an electronic shutter that would do the job?

A Panasonic Lumix, like the older DMC-FZ200, can use a separate Timer Remote Control for time-lapse. Panasonic makes one as do a number of 3rd party companies like JJC. And you want to add a mains power supply adapter (goes in place of the battery so you have it plugged in). If you have potential for power outages then you need to account for that as well.

Thank you for the suggestion!

How can I tell them apart, which one is DSLR, which isnt? And how can I see how many shots have been taken with it?
Thanks!

Hello,
Im quite new to the photography world, but I'd like to be a little less new. Hope you guys can help me with some info!
Couple of months ago I decided to start a youtube channel. I did some research and found out I want a DSLR that can shoot 60fps videos. I found a slightly used Olympus SP-100ee on a budget. It's all great, it doest the job very well and I'm happy with it.
I decided to start a second youtube channel!
This time I'd like to make 14-30 days timelapses. It will all be indoors, so I'm not worried about weather conditions. I tried working with what I have, but it's just not made for it. My Olympus can take a maximum of 99 shots before I have to set it for another 99 shots, which for a 30 day long timelapse is a bit dull, if not impossible.
Intervalometer - yeah, a good solution, but nowhere to plug it in? My camera has only two ports - a mini USB to charge and move data from the SD card to PC.
Another problem is the power supply. No battery can hold up to 30 days of shooting, so again, I did some research. Apparantly, there is no battery dummy for my camera... I'd have to make one my own. Which I would, if it wasnt for the other problems I have with it, but I guess its pointless now.

Now, to my question. Since you all know what I want to do with a camera, what should I look for? Canon, Nikon? I dont want to spend a fortune, since im not after some ultra high quality shots.

I did some research, but it seems like too much info for my head.
Basically I need something, that
- can work with intervalometer
- has battery dummy or any other way to keep it alive for a month
- can be locked in manual mode, because mine keeps adusting itself when doing time-lapse shots and cannot do timelapse when in manual mode. I saw some tutorials on time-lapsing, and pretty much everybody locks it and sets it to shoot RAW. No such thing on my camera-thingy...
- not cost a fortune. Im perfectly good with older models, I dont need the latest one out there. I just need it to do the job, timelapse is the only job it will ever be used for.

Thanks in advance!

any DSLR with the software on the memory card can do time lapse http://www.magiclantern.fm
but for time lapse videos I would use a camera with an electronic shutter CHDK Wiki

Any suggestions on a camera with an electronic shutter? Looking for older model with good quality.
Thanks alot, and sorry for my dumb questions, this is a whole new world to me...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back