A "one size fits all" filter setup?

CraniumDesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevendavisphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey friends! Now that I started using filters, I've noticed something terribly annoying... My filters only fit 1 of my 3 lenses! I have a 18-55, a 75-300, and 50, and my 58mm filters only fit my 18-55. What can I do, if anything, to buy just a large filter and use it for any of my lenses? Should I just buy large filters and then buy adaptors to fit smaller lenses? How do you accomplish this without buying a filter set for each lens size?

You answered yourself really - get a larger filter for your largest lens and then get stepdown rings for your other lenses. Also make sure that if your getting filters that your not just getting cheap ones - cheap brand filters are going to degrade your image quality whilst high grade ones will hardly cause any detrimental effect

I would just get all 77, it is the professional size, then use stepdowm rings.

You got it!

Use stepdown rings. Do not use stepup rings. they will make you a not happy camper. just dont use them.

Im pretty sure 77mm filters are like some sort of standard, so a 77-whatever stepdown ring would be a good choice. and for lenses with anything larger than 77, id say it should have its own filter on it always, its most likely to expensive to not have protected, or its too big for a filter.

And dont buy the cheapest filter you can, it degrades image quality. If you just getting one, for ALL your lenses, id suggest getting the highest quality (not the most expensive) filter you can afford.

You got it!

Use stepdown rings. Do not use stepup rings. they will make you a not happy camper. just dont use them.

Im pretty sure 77mm filters are like some sort of standard, so a 77-whatever stepdown ring would be a good choice. and for lenses with anything larger than 77, id say it should have its own filter on it always, its most likely to expensive to not have protected, or its too big for a filter.

And dont buy the cheapest filter you can, it degrades image quality. If you just getting one, for ALL your lenses, id suggest getting the highest quality (not the most expensive) filter you can afford.

Per chance, you might want to read this. :D

Step Up and Step Down Rings

It's my understanding that step-up rings have external threads on the smaller diameter section and internal threads on the larger diameter section. These are the type of ring I've used for many, many years. Step-down rings would be the reverse.

Now, modern filters come with external threads on one side and internal threads on t'other. No problem there. But I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around how step-down rings would be used to adapt a larger-diameter filter to a smaller-diameter lens which has an internally-threaded front.

Most reactions

Back