Photos OK to edit
i still have along ways to go...but i think i have improved alot...C&C please
2766808506_e44cddc292_o.jpg

2765962953_c6760e56f3_o.jpg

2766808700_d1ae49b437_o.jpg

2765960875_1f2e0ce8f2_o.jpg

2765962323_fe3d71d334_o.jpg

Last edited:
Some good work. You've not asked for C&C, but what was the object of this shoot?
ok i changed it lol C&C please...hes trying to get into the model industry

Nice looking model.

The pole throught the head puts me off in #2, 3 & 5. The door frame in #4 as well.

I like the lines in #1, but I think it needs tilting CW and removing the light fixture at the top. This IMO is your strongest image, but I don't think your focus is on the subject..... looks as if if it's behind him.

Nice effort, but keep in mind your background to subject.

make him full frame - if that makes sense...he doesn't have to be center, but there's too much wasted space

Nice looking model.

The pole throught the head puts me off in #2, 3 & 5. The door frame in #4 as well.

I like the lines in #1, but I think it needs tilting CW and removing the light fixture at the top. This IMO is your strongest image, but I don't think your focus is on the subject..... looks as if if it's behind him.

Nice effort, but keep in mind your background to subject.
i know...i cant seem to ever get the pictures straight...espically when im shooting vertical...and the 430ex flash makes the camera really heavy

Can't do anything about the focus, but the tilt/crop is easily fixed.

2766808506_e44cddc292_o-a.jpg

Hope you don't mind.

Can't do anything about the focus, but the tilt/crop is easily fixed.

2766808506_e44cddc292_o-a.jpg

Hope you don't mind.

what tool did u use...i guess i shouldve used my tripod o never mind the tilt crop tool lol

Ah well then, that makes all the difference. ;) C&C per req:

1. This, IMO, is the best image of the lot but it does have a couple of issues; the model is too centred, and there's too much empty space above. I'd consider a recrop. I'm not sure, but on my crappy work monitor, it looks like you may have missed the point of focus, he seems a little soft.

2. About 1/3 - 1/2 stop over-exposed. The pose and background do not work in this one. He looks to me like he's getting photographed for a wanted postr. In this situation, background is all-important. I think a casual pose against the wall and eliminating the fence would have worked much better.

3. Good exposure, good pose, bad background. You were using a 50mm/f1.8 lens here, ideal for this sort of work, but you were stopped down to f14??? WTF? This should have been shot at more like f2; that would have done several things: Allowed you to increase your shutter speed, reduce your ISO to the minimum (You're at 400 which isn't bad, but never shoot higher than you have to) and most importantly, it would have softend the background to make it less distracting.

4. Pose and situation don't work for me. He's looking straight into the camera; ideally you want him to look toward you, but not directly at you. Granted, modelling isn't my forte, but this pose doesn't really say anything.

5. This one's a much better attempt at #3, but slightly over-exposed.

Overall, not bad. You've got a good model, and you've obviously got the basics down. What remains to be worked on is composition. Grab a couple of men's fashion magazines and head out with your model and try and emulate some of the poses/compositions you see in them; there's a reason those pictures are published! Good luck.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

For these shots, a tripod is not necessary if you have enough available light and a fast enough shutter speed.

I went through Capture NX (Nikon software) to set black and white control points (can be done in Photoshop), some curves and adjusted tilt. Cropped to 5x7 in PS.

Is it okay?

Ah well then, that makes all the difference. ;) C&C per req:

1. This, IMO, is the best image of the lot but it does have a couple of issues; the model is too centred, and there's too much empty space above. I'd consider a recrop. I'm not sure, but on my crappy work monitor, it looks like you may have missed the point of focus, he seems a little soft.

2. About 1/3 - 1/2 stop over-exposed. The pose and background do not work in this one. He looks to me like he's getting photographed for a wanted postr. In this situation, background is all-important. I think a casual pose against the wall and eliminating the fence would have worked much better.

3. Good exposure, good pose, bad background. You were using a 50mm/f1.8 lens here, ideal for this sort of work, but you were stopped down to f14??? WTF? This should have been shot at more like f2; that would have done several things: Allowed you to increase your shutter speed, reduce your ISO to the minimum (You're at 400 which isn't bad, but never shoot higher than you have to) and most importantly, it would have softend the background to make it less distracting.

4. Pose and situation don't work for me. He's looking straight into the camera; ideally you want him to look toward you, but not directly at you. Granted, modelling isn't my forte, but this pose doesn't really say anything.

5. This one's a much better attempt at #3, but slightly over-exposed.

Overall, not bad. You've got a good model, and you've obviously got the basics down. What remains to be worked on is composition. Grab a couple of men's fashion magazines and head out with your model and try and emulate some of the poses/compositions you see in them; there's a reason those pictures are published! Good luck.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John
haha @ wtf... i didnt know what the hell i was doing lol!!

For these shots, a tripod is not necessary if you have enough available light and a fast enough shutter speed.

I went through Capture NX (Nikon software) to set black and white control points (can be done in Photoshop), some curves and adjusted tilt. Cropped to 5x7 in PS.

Is it okay?

well im not worried about the light...but more of how i always have off balance photos...i think a tripod would have helped me with that

Last edited:
haha @ wtf... i didnt know what the hell i was doing lol!!
I wouldn't go that far if I were you. You obviously have an eye, but just need to hone the skills. There are some fundamentals with portraits that you should make yourself familiar with. Google is your friend. If you really want to make an impact with your portrait photography, look at getting an external flash. But for now, concentrate on fundamentals (rods, poles, trees, whatever through your subjects head). There was only one shot (#5) where you came oh so close to amputating an apendage, which is a very common mistake.

I wouldn't go that far if I were you. You obviously have an eye, but just need to hone the skills. There are some fundamentals with portraits that you should make yourself familiar with. Google is your friend. If you really want to make an impact with your portrait photography, look at getting an external flash. But for now, concentrate on fundamentals (rods, poles, trees, whatever through your subjects head). There was only one shot (#5) where you came oh so close to amputating an apendage, which is a very common mistake.
like an off camera flash?..with the umbrellas ect...

Agree!

Most reactions

Back